New workshop project

Yes - it's in the grand plan. Hence the very temporary power supply to it at the moment.

There's space out the back so I'll be able to get a little shed there to house the compressor. I'm hoping that there might be enough room for something big enough to walk into - small B&Q 6' x 4' garden shed sort of size, though built to a better specification.

• 1 month later...

Sadly not no, life and work getting in the way recently. With a bit of luck I’ll get some more of the roof insulation finished off next weekend, and then I can do another treasure collection run the weekend after.

There is still drainage and hard landscaping to complete outside, and I definitely need to get that done before the winter comes in. 

• Like 1

More fiddling in the roof this morning. Collar ties fitted and bolted through the rafters. These will not only serve as something to mount my ‘ceiling’ on (and insulate between, preserving cross-flow ventilation of the roof) but they will also add a fair bit of strength to the structure as they effectively lock the rafters to the ridge beam.

A0A79ECE-0AA0-4839-93CA-96A050FBFA85.jpeg

• Like 2

Okay I need to put handles on, and the centre trim on the outside. But otherwise done :D

It’s currently too full of mess to work in, got loads of spare insulation which I am going to relocate to the house loft for the time being. It will be handy when I come to build the compressor shed. That’ll free up the floor space again to get the 90 in and do a few jobs before the next trailer trip to pick up more bits.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

These ones:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-single-5ft-led-batten-white-30w-2700lm/1079v

They're excellent, nice and bright with no flickering. And easy to wire up as they daisy-chain together. 

@Retroanaconda from your earlier photos it looks like you've got 6 main light fittings in your garage, is this correct? I'm moving house shortly and it has a 5.5m x 7.5m double garage which currently has the original strip lights from the 1960's installed so a swap to LED would be the obvious solution, just not sure how many I would need. Is there a calculator you used to figure out lumens required as obviously Screwfix sell different lengths/doubles etc etc.

Cheers, Martin.

I think the main thing is to think about where you might be working and where you want the lighting to be. E.g. a light above and behind the lathe to be able to see what you're doing. Over the top of an engine bay (perhaps just in front if you don't want to remove the bonnet), for example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Yes, six fittings.

I’m sure there is a way to work out the ‘required’ amount of light but I just went with what would sensibly space across the ceiling. On the premise of the more the better!

There's a calculation they taught us at college but I can't remember it :lol: 

2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

I think the main thing is to think about where you might be working and where you want the lighting to be. E.g. a light above and behind the lathe to be able to see what you're doing. Over the top of an engine bay (perhaps just in front if you don't want to remove the bonnet), for example.

Another one worth thinking about is where a car is parked... My workshop can only have one car in the middle, so I've got the lights running length-wise and offset towards the outside edges so as to shine down the sides of the car in the middle.

• Like 1