New workshop project

That’s enough concrete stress for me for now thanks!

Just floated it again which has flattened out the ridges from the first time. I think I’ve left it a bit too long as it’s not done much to the rest of the surface, but it’s fairly cold today with very little wind so the bleed water took a long time to evaporate.

It looks good anyhow, just hoping it’s hard enough before dark so that when I drag a cover over it it doesn’t mark it. 

On 11/4/2019 at 9:41 PM, Arjan said:

I suggest fitting an "recovery eye" in the back of the shed (strong piece of pipe / tubing to attach a snatch block to if you needs to winch in something "dead"

Absolutely agree!

While you are at it, have a quick shufti around the yard to see where you could site another/others to haul dead ones in/out. You will probably have left over mix, so use it.

Indeed it is. State of play this morning; hardened off enough now that I can walk around and inspect it properly. Finish isn’t perfect by any means but it’s pretty good and I’m pleased with it. Once it’s got a coat of paint on it it will be just the job.

We’re hopefully due some rain today so I’ll leave it uncovered and let it get damp before covering it up and insulating it this afternoon prior to the frosts that are due over the next few nights. It will then likely sit covered up for at least a week or so.

0E591F68-154D-4042-9621-C71BB3ADDA57.thumb.jpeg.9aa69478421a6034c99439b086b4ef7e.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Indeed it is. State of play this morning; hardened off enough now that I can walk around and inspect it properly. Finish isn’t perfect by any means but it’s pretty good and I’m pleased with it. Once it’s got a coat of paint on it it will be just the job.

We’re hopefully due some rain today so I’ll leave it uncovered and let it get damp before covering it up and insulating it this afternoon prior to the frosts that are due over the next few nights. It will then likely sit covered up for at least a week or so.

I have a mental picture of you sat on a deck chair minding your "pad" through hail and rain and storms 😂

• Haha 1

May I suggest you keep it wet - as in : garden hose - to slow down the setting.

The longer it takes to fully set, the stronger is will be.

The top layer "dries" quickly but the rest will take up to a week, 10 days, to fully set.

Looks very nice !

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

I have a mental picture of you sat on a deck chair minding your "pad" through hail and rain and storms 😂

Not far off! I had a camping chair and a cup of tea in hand while watching for rabbits :lol:

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

May I suggest you keep it wet - as in : garden hose - to slow down the setting.

I’ve watered it today, and have now covered it in polythene sheet. On top of which is a layer of blankets for insulation, and then a tarp over the top of that. The polythene will stop it drying out prematurely (though it’s unlikely in this climate) to assist curing, and the insulation should keep any frost at bay until it’s had a week or so to harden enough that it won’t be damaged.

Looking good!

You mention that you're going to paint it. Be careful with your choice of paint - most require at least 6 months of curing before painting to prevent out-gassing of the concrete blistering the paint. I did find one when I did the floor in my old garage about 7 years ago that was OK for 28 days although it was very expensive. Can't remember what it was called sorry but it was a 2 part paint so I am guessing it was epoxy.

My new garage floor is now 4 months old and I am almost at the point where I can get all the house carp out of it and prepare it to receive a pile of rusty land rover...! Weighing up floor paint options now and think I will risk the Leyland paint which gets a good review. Their data sheet says "several months" so worth a punt I think.

Indeed. I think FridgeFreezer found some paint that was okay after a shorter period, I don't mind spending on it if it works.

In theory the full drying time is around 1 day per mm - so at the rear of my slab that's about a year until it's 'properly' dry - not realistic by any stretch. I'll be able to stretch to a number of months by the time the structure has been built around it but I know that if I start putting stuff in there before it's done then it'll just never happen.

3 hours ago, bishbosh said:

Weighing up floor paint options now and think I will risk the Leyland paint which gets a good review. Their data sheet says "several months" so worth a punt I think.

No extra info on the concrete age as my workshop is who knows how old, but they leyland trade floor paint has been great! First coat 50/50 with white spirit and then full strength for the top coat. 

Took the covering off today, slab surface seems good. Fairly smooth and pretty level too so I’m pleased with that. The edges aren’t too great where the DPM lapped up over the shuttering, but it’s all strong enough.

Got the brickwork bits in this morning and have been setting it out, ready to start laying the bricks tomorrow.

F6C76E1E-4683-4718-9A6A-AE144A507420.thumb.jpeg.9ad35cf27665635d7983219da7f0010d.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 1:52 PM, Retroanaconda said:

Indeed. I think FridgeFreezer found some paint that was okay after a shorter period, I don't mind spending on it if it works.

Almost all of them say months of curing before applying  - mine came from Ask Coatings and the chap there was very helpful, he said they recommend a certain time but that I'd be OK with the shorter period, gave me the full run down on how best to apply it and which thing to use.