New workshop project

Framing is pretty quick once you get going - got this up this morning.

2ED44B07-FEFE-4013-8D73-25982C9AF027.thumb.jpeg.d6e2fd5892587688bc43ff3d9289f3eb.jpeg

With the exception of the small section at the front between the large vehicle door and the personnel door, this is as far as I can go around the walls until I get the windows and door sorted, so that’s a priority for the coming weeks.

Need to bolt all this down too, got some resin and studding to get it secured properly this weekend. And I’ll stick a couple of diagonals across to stop it going out of shape until the internal boarding goes on at a later date. 

• Like 3

The two walls against the boundary have been backfilled with gravel and the DPM dressed appropriately. Bulked up the deeper areas with loads of slate to save on gravel - which also avoids needing to get rid of it somehow.

D0F10B79-12AA-46EF-AD17-37564FEB21E0.thumb.jpeg.767b8efcc96bd29047f621c578a9aead.jpeg

F8D5DD79-74C3-4B50-AD3B-90928F25D48B.thumb.jpeg.3601bad628cecc0936ac520492af8efa.jpeg

I was going to bolt some wall pieces down but had to do some other bits and pieces this morning and there’s now not enough daylight left to avoid rushing, so that’ll happen next weekend all being well :D

Also done today was making up the brackets for the walls. Couldn’t find angled ones locally for sensible money so bought straight ones which are cheap and 30 mins with a gas torch gives me these.

9E86150A-C883-4047-AA22-1B0550A4877F.thumb.jpeg.8bfbd38f2fbc0c14bf4061bb81d8fe5f.jpeg

After the incident with the previous workshop I’m not taking any chances. Each one will have an M10 stud into the slab and a load of screws into the wall studs. The brackets will go up behind the internal wall sheathing and so will be mostly hidden, save for the ‘foot’ at the bottom.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finally a dry weekend, so time to push on. A tip for anyone using engineering bricks - don’t leave the walls uncovered in the rain. I spent most of Saturday morning manually emptying all the little holes of the rainwater that had accumulated over the past few weeks. Huge waste of time!

That done, I could start erecting the walls. I put the ones I’d already built up, plus started on the second longer wall. The windows and door make it a bit more fiddly and so only managed to get two sections made up, and one put in place, before I ran out of light. Started bolting the walls down too, using the brackets and the resin/stud fixings. 

0AB84A8A-B63D-450C-BD64-D3CB2123647A.thumb.jpeg.60673737a006db76e08115f77f6f6f9d.jpeg

Hopefully we’ll get a bit of dry weather over the Christmas period and I can get some more done. Spent another small fortune at the timber merchant on Saturday morning and so all being well I hope to be able to get started on the roof framing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

What was the incident with the other garage? 

Out of curiosity - did you put the bricks in to help fight damp? Rather than just bolt the stud work straight to the slab.

Indeed, a big storm blew it away when it was part-built. 

The bricks are there for a couple of reasons, lifting the timber up off the slab and keeping it drier is one. It also makes it easier to seal the building against ingress of rodents and other pests. Looks nice too!

• Like 1

Walls all done, and I’ve got a plan for getting the ridge beam in place so I can do the roof. The door header and trimming studs have not been put in yet as I’ll leave that until I have the door and so know the height.

I may or may not be planning to spend Christmas Day up on ladders fixing bits of wood together :ph34r:

5538D5FD-6821-48B8-9EAF-93F93CFB944F.thumb.jpeg.428daef6cd31d2dd016e8c0b6a22c890.jpeg

• Like 1

Similar principle, but I did it manually. Slipped it between the uprights resting on the wall plate, and then lifted it a little at a time, clamping in place at each end.

Managed to get the beam joined together -and lifted up there, and a pair of rafters made and fitted. Now I’ve got to relent and go do Christmas type stuff but the principle is proven, so I just need to get the rest made and fitted - hopefully in the next few days weather permitting.

The building is starting to look rather big, in my very small garden :D

I’ve gone for a 400mm overhang at the front which may prove to be a bit much - we’ll see. 

FD7F76FA-DD11-458D-9581-60975B0F3CD7.thumb.jpeg.a778b48141e81b0607f0606d827782eb.jpeg

Looks very nice - think that overhang is fine as you get less water ingress.....

the 9 mtr. truss will be about 150 kgs and goes 4 mtrs. - those tackles are very useful....

The overhang will be a nice feature and provide a lot of shelter (as long as the wind isn’t in the wrong direction). The weight of the slates / tiles might be significant though. Round here, Hardrow slates are used and with the overlaps they are very heavy. So ensure your overhang wood sections are up to it. 

Thanks. My roof covering will be lightweight bitumised corrugated sheeting, so there won’t be a huge amount of load on there. The ridge beam is obviously continuous which will help, and the rest of the ladder will be made of 100x47 notched into the gable rafter. The plywood sarking over the top will tie it all together. 

Another productive day. Making the rafters is slow work - partly because I’m figuring it out as I go but also because things aren’t quite straight so there’s a bit of jiggery-pokery to do for each pair. Just a shame it only gets light at 9:00am and is dark by 4:30pm or I’d have got them all done -_-

I’m pleased with how it’s looking though. It’s 2,500mm to the underside of the ties - so plenty of room for Land Rovers even once the lighting is fitted. 

FA46B0A3-F03F-47F9-A6B3-6835FE8E2FAA.thumb.jpeg.4cbbff07ba055ec8b356c971fd6bd0eb.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anderzander said:

My worry is Ross becomes a father ....

Though I’d buy the OM606 set up 😊

Sorry - too soon?

I have dibs on the tyres ...........

:)

That is if they are not dried up and cracked :P

Come on Ross just fit the standard front set up and get it on the road , you do know that off the road is wildly different to off-road ?

:) trust me time does not run in a linear fashion , much as it might look that way right now

Nice shed btw , I have two 20' containers in place with concrete inbetween that I'm hoping to roof and panel next year for my garden workshop . Time permitting hoho

cheers

Steve b

• Haha 1