11 hours ago, landroversforever said:

No chance of that any time soon :( 

😕 Sounds like some heartbreak in that story😕 Sorry if that’s the case.

The positive though is that you’re young and of course the best place to meet people is whilst working on a Mercedes engined 90....

Thanks guys. The roof is pretty much all framed now, got the outriggers for the front and rear overhangs on this afternoon as well as the studs for the apexes of the two gables.

Tomorrow is to be showery so will probably leave it to Tuesday to put the plywood roof deck on. Hopefully the wind will have subsided a bit by then too as I don’t much fancy moving 8x4 sheets around up there in wind like today’s, let alone trying to control the membrane.

Looking great, .... is it a whole number of sheets for the roof? I only ask because its not too late to put a wee overhang on the front to shelter the open door, ..... depends on orietation to some extent, but I did with mine to save cutting sheets and its great.

It’ll be more or less whole sheets yes, the rafters are at 600mm centres for that reason. There will be some trimming though as the sheets are 1220x2440 :rolleyes:

There is indeed an overhang of 400mm at the front and 150mm at the rear. The eaves are 200mm.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Despite having my own I'm still getting shed envy here... maybe I need more sheds? :ph34r:

You always need more sheds.

My new place has a 5.5x11m two storey barn, another one about half the size and despite not weatherproofing either yet I'm still planning a double car garage round the back of the house, another shed that can take two cars end on end and possibly another shed for a 4 poster next to the barns...

• Like 1

What an absolute pain - it’s a bit windy today so putting this stuff on is like trying to wrestle a 20-foot snake while balanced on a slide. Never mind - it’s done now, just need to tidy up the edges so it doesn’t get damaged before the roofing and fascias etc. go on. 

8808AEC9-8E66-4F13-A0D4-D9FF8CEDBF2D.thumb.jpeg.49f08b64b73355aa836dcd4067d68ea6.jpeg

On 12/29/2019 at 10:47 AM, Anderzander said:

😕 Sounds like some heartbreak in that story😕 Sorry if that’s the case.

The positive though is that you’re young and of course the best place to meet people is whilst working on a Mercedes engined 90....

Afraid so :(. I won't clog up James' thread any more with the details.

• Sad 1

Weather has been pretty poor since the last update, and I’ve run out of materials so no more progress. Will be ordering the roof, windows and personnel door tomorrow so with any luck I’ll be able to crack on further over the next few weeks. Very keen to get the roof on as soon as possible as the Tyvek won’t hold out against the rain forever.

If it’s dry enough to work at the weekends of course -_-

• 2 weeks later...

I really hate storms.

After driving through several sections of road covered by two feet of seawater I finally returned home this evening to discover that Brendan has forcefully removed the bulk of the Tyvek for me :glare:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

It was pretty bad. Just been back down through the Spean Bridge / Dalwhinnie route so further inland and maybe more sheltered. Coming down the steep hill into Dalwhinnie had to accelerate to maintain headway.

Was worse south of Glasgow though.

The Tyvek is UV stable for a few months, which should be enough for my purposes. Was just the wind got a bit much for the battens holding it down yesterday, it popped the screws out of the ply. All fixed back on now, with a little patch on the ripped bit. A few areas of the ply have got a bit wet and might need replacing, but hopefully not too bad.

The structure itself seems nice and solid and hasn't moved, though of course the wind can go through it at the moment.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Yes, I’ve done the work.

Plywood is marginally stiffer for the thickness. It is also a bit more breathable which will help given the roof is to be insulated, though it probably won’t make much difference either way. I also had some ply left over from the forms and so I didn’t need to buy as much.

• Like 1

Plywood is abit overkill in this situation, but if you had some left over then all good 👍

Remember your air gap when insulating between the rafters, otherwise condensation will accumilate. 

The Tyvek is breathable so technically there doesn’t need to be an airspace so long as any roof deck/sarking is also sufficiently vapour-permeable and you ensure that air can move under the roof covering, the ply and Onduline sheets will allow this. However as I’m using 150mm rafters and 100mm insulation there will be a ~50mm airspace anyway which is vented at the eaves and the ridge - albeit through the Tyvek at the latter.

The walls will have 100mm insulation right up to the inside of the membrane and then a vented cavity between that and the cladding.

Overkill is the name of the game and a legitimate approach :D

• Like 1