Discovery 1 1997 Auto Gearbox fault

Franmax

Help, ( said in a Penelope Pitstop voice 😊)

From 2nd to 3rd gear its slipping. Over-revs, so i take my foot off a little to reduce revs. Sometime she will go in to 3rd, sometimes  it takes more revs to engage gear. Anyone any idea. ?. Othe gears seem to engage with  no problem.  Do i need to spend loadsa cash on a recon gearbox 😢 or hopefully it may be a simpler issue ??. 

Thanks chums for any advice.😊

20190217_160406.jpg

20190212_231720.jpg

As above, change oil and filter but sometimes this can do more harm than good if the oil hasn't been changed for a long time.

If that doesn't fix it its probably cheaper to take a punt at a few second hand gearboxes than send it away to be repaired, there's not a lot that is easily repaired in them at home either.

http://www.cowdery.org.uk/zf.php

Edited by Mudmonkey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

If the fluid is black, you are unlikely to get it back, it should be a nice bright red colour ideally.

Is your kickdown cable connected and adjusted properly?

Good point, mine wasn't black - but then neither was it cherry red... It was a sort of "brown with tiny black specks" colour :D

• Sad 1