uprated alternator for Defender 200tdi

Hi all i have a standard 200tdi defender with a Magneti Marelli A127-55 (genuine Land Rover branded alternator)

I know there is a larger capacity 90 or 100 amp Bosch (i think ) alternator which fit but i am wanting to know if anyone knows which cars these higher rated Bosch alternator is installed in  
anyone know ? thanks for any advice 
Edited by justustwo
spelling

There is a Mondeo alternator that fits the disco 200tdi (you need to sleeve or drill out for the top bolt and change the pulley) but I don't know if it fits a defender 200tdi.

Bosch 90 Amp alternator from 2.0 Zetec engine. Bosch Part number 0 123 212 001 Ford Ref: 93 BB-10300-AG

Mike

that pic of the alternator looks strange anyway unless its just that its a disco setup ...air filter on wrong side and and my pipe from bottom intercooler stub to turbo would be right in the way....

Anyone know about the pulley swap on one of these uprated  alternator to accept a single v belt .I had a quick look online and it looks like the pulley is on a splined shaft could be a bit awkward/not straight  forward  to swap to the v belt???

My picture is a standard disco engine fitted in a early 110. Belt and alternator position are standard but alternator is a Ford item. Air filter is a disco filter in a custom position and mount. As stated the defender 200tdi is different. The alternator is low down, the turbo is high, intake is below the exhaust manifold and the belts run a different route. The op asked for an alternator fitted to a different car that would fit. The ford alternator will fit (top bolt and pulley require alterations) a disco 200tdi and should fit a defender because as far as I know the alternator is the same on both engines.

Mike

In times-past I'd have suggested using something like a 75-Amp-rated Bosch K1-75, having had loads of those fitted in Ford Sierra XR4x4 Estates which were used as part of MOULD.

Once you go past 50-amps alternator output you need to switch to twin-V-belts or - preferably - a serpentine multi-vee drive.

The issue being that you need friction on the pulleys to transmit drive, which depends on surface-contact-area.

Sure, you can wind-up the tension on a single-belt to provide the necessary friction - but it'll mean the side-loading on the alternator/water-pump bearings are gruesome and they'll have a short and unhappy life.

Trust me on this!

--
Tanuki.
Kennet Working Dogs - home of Archie the Rottweiler.

3 hours ago, miketomcat said:

a disco 200tdi and should fit a defender because as far as I know the alternator is the same on both engines.

Mike

No.  Disco alternators are opposite hand to Defenders.  In addition, the space available on a Defender is much smaller.

1 minute ago, Tanuki said:

Once you go past 50-amps alternator output you need to switch to twin-V-belts or - preferably - a serpentine multi-vee drive.

To be fair, Defenders came out of the factory with an option for a 65 amp alternator which uses a single V-belt with no issues.

28 minutes ago, Red90 said:

No.  Disco alternators are opposite hand to Defenders.  In addition, the space available on a Defender is much smaller.

I stand corrected however you can just split the casing and rotate to change the handing. The britpart upgrade kit looks to be the same as the Mondeo alternator but the other hand so the case will need to be split and rotated.

Mike

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I stand corrected however you can just split the casing and rotate to change the handing. The britpart upgrade kit looks to be the same as the Mondeo alternator but the other hand so the case will need to be split and rotated.

Mike

Only if they are a 3 bolt casing.  Most casings are 4 bolt, so this does not work. A whole lot of work when you can just buy one that works...

For a Disco 200TDI, you can simply buy the 100 Amp alternator for a 300TDI.

Edited by Red90