Leaf spring chassis bush failure

jad

Snagger I could almost kiss you! 😘 Removing the front prop has gotten rid of the vibration noise between coast and overrun and also another shuffling noise when coming to a rest! Looks like I need to buy a double cardan propshaft! Still could do with fixing the reason for dodgy bush alignment though...

Thank you!

Jad

Update. phasing the propshaft 45 degrees has significantly improved the noise making it much quieter and less harsh... What are people's thoughts to trying phasing it 90 degrees? From the info I can't tell if that might improve things further or not... Guessing it couldn't hurt to try..

Cheers

Jad

That's the compromise with the disco conversion, I think. 

But to build a series axle to disco spec could cost upwards from £500, it's not a bad choice.

Sorry, Jad, I was away working.

My front diff is also tipped up to get the correct swivel orientation and track rod clearance.  The rod is about 1/2" above the tops of the springs with the chassis jacked up so the axle is pulling the springs down most

I get front prop vibration at speed, even though I phased the UJs.  I would like to have a double-cardan joint on the front end, ultimately, as the prop sits relatively horizontal, deflecting the front UJ quite a bit while the rear UJ is fairly straight.

I had 12J/19J/Def200Tdi mounts on the engine, with the low slung right bracket that swoops under the fuel pump on the earlier Defender diesels.  This was too close to the front prop, and under the axle and spring twist of braking, the diff was pitching up and causing the UJ to hit that engine bracket.  I replaced it with something that arched much higher (I have the space under the fuel pump as I have a Discovery engine) and the problem was resolved.  You''ll see the marks on the underside of the engine bracket if you have the same issue.