Best horn replacement

Hi guys and gals, thankfully I’ve not had to post in a while 😊 

just wondering if you guys have fitted a simple horn that’s better than the original as it’s become tired. 

I seen @Jocklandjohn mentioned a substitute a while back. Would like it a bit louder if possible but simple replacement. 

😊👍

I fitted a pair of horns that I took off a VW Golf scrapper, I had to make a bracket for them to fit in place of the original single horn but well worth it. I also added a relay to switch the power directly from the battery.

Just be aware that if you're fitting salvaged or new conventional horns, the back, (mounting screw) of the horn vibrates so they need to be mounted on a flexible strip to work properly, if you mount them onto a rigid surface or bracket, they won't sound at all well.

Edited by crwoody

• 8 months later...

Hi, newbie here (although I have owned my defender for 16 years now).

I had a Controle Technique failure as the horn was not working. I looked, and the earth wire spade connector had corroded and broken.

I got a new horn as they did not seem unreasonably expensive:

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/horn-note-britpart-amr3467-yeb500060-p-6908.html  but I think this is a disco one as it has that funky 2-pin fitting.

can I just take off that plastic 2 pin jobby and wire my live and earth to those 2 terminals where the plastic bit is, or am I better served buying another one, but with the correct (spade) terminals ?

Thanks

That one in the link is one half of a pair. There will be separate horns for high and low tones, where as I think the standard defender horn is a single combined unit.

If you want loud from a single horn, buy a stebel nautilus. Needs wiring via a relay tho.

Edited by daveturnbull

7 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Go Camel Trophy style: dedicated engine-driven air-con compressor and train horn

You mean like my photo :ph34r:😁

OK probably smaller than a train horn but still effin loud (they're driven off an air con pump).

7 hours ago, daveturnbull said:

That one in the link is one half of a pair. There will be separate horns for high and low tones, where as I think the standard defender horn is a single combined unit.

If you want loud from a single horn, buy a stebel nautilus. Needs wiring via a relay tho.

I second one of them very loud and mine is not on a relay and works well.

I have a pair very similar to the Mix type and they’re very good.  I did once have twin trumpet type air horns with separate compressor, which were shrill enough to make me jump, let alone others, but they deteriorated very quickly and corrected internally.  They take up too much space, anyway.  You won’t go wrong with the Mixos.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

It shames me to admit that I find this idea so good I will be buying one. I think it encourages non-aggressive horn-age and will generally brighten the lives of those that hear it.

Edited by ThreePointFive
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThreePointFive said:

It shames me to admit that I find this idea so good I will be buying one. I think it encourages non-aggressive horn-age and will generally brighten the lives of those that hear it.

Agreed, we need more non-aggressive hornage in this world 👍

• Like 1