Gazzar

Starting turning on an old lathe

I didn't try that, I will.

I just had the contactor in mine die, I'd be looking at the start cap & contactor & checking the wiring before spending out on a motor.

Machine mart sell universal-fit motors, Brook Compton or Parvalux make the pukka stuff but it'll be pricey.

Thanks everyone.

Well, I finished the piece. A series three gearbox input pinion cover plate seal press tool. The seal is put in the 'wrong' way around, and so is easily damaged.

I spun the motor by hand then started it. That worked, even if the lathe wasn't actually turning when I started it.

What's a contactor? Is that the switch on the saddle?

And where do I get a decent capacitor?

IMG_20190824_215901.jpg

IMG_20190824_125310.jpg

Start caps can be had on ebay, I've had to replace a few over the years. The value isn't super critical if you can't find any numbers on the original.

I think Fridge means the centrifugal contactor inside the motor which cuts the cap out of the circuit once the motor is going. Its not always easy to get to! 

I'm not sure I want to go that far into the motor, but if it's an easy thing.....................

I'll get eldest to strip the cap from the motor.  He wants to be an electrical engineer, so it's about time he learned!

No I meant the big relay that goes "clunk" when you hit the start button, mine also had an overload device fitted which is what I think had failed... but if your motor will run when you spin it by hand I'd suspect the start cap.

Should have some values printed on it somewhere that you can match but as LoFi says it's not super critical and there's guidelines based on motor size/power.

Mine has a lever, that operates the drum switch.

It could be contributing, so I'll add that to the list......

Thank you, I'll investigate the start cap this weekend.