Retractable Airline Recommendations?

It depends on what you use it for.

So I have https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amtech-Y2650-Retractable-Hose-8-Inch/dp/B002W4T49U/

Not the biggest diameter pipe, the pipe is not the most flexible but better than a cheap extension pipe I have.
Because it is not auto guided, if the wrap all goes to one side then the spring can need a little help to pull in the last 6 inches because the pipe is just rubbing on the case enough to stop it pulling it in but a little help by hand will see it fully retract.

You need to buy your own connectors but you get to choose PCL or euro depending on what you use.

Was used daily for about 6 months, now only a couple of times a week but still going strong after 7 years and for the price it was well worth it.

Update: looking at other the reel is quite open so it is easy to see the wrap and push the wheel to help for the last 6 inches when badly wrapped

Edited by zardos

Mine is something like a d pro. I picked it as I needed 20m to get down the drive and around the cars and didn't want to spend hundreds, it was about £50.

It swings side to side and retracts by itself, always seems to coil back in. You can lock it off every few inches although it seems to take a bit of a knack to get it to do what you want. 

Think it's 3/8 hose but I can go look for a model number if you want to know exactly. 

I'm thinking that the retractable one will go by the door, so I can pull it out to blow up tyres outside easily. For now I'll plumb it in with one of my normal lines, but eventually I'll hard-line it all the way to the compressor.

I've found an old stainless compressed air tank (well two) at work to stick inline down by the door so I've got a bit of an air reserve if I'm doing anything else further out from the workshop door.

• Like 1

A friend has a portable air receiver that you charge from your compressor then carry around with you. Good for tyres etc. 

You can get 30m of braided airline for about £30. You can always just put a hook on the wall and wrap it up there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Nedermann retractable reel. Not hugely long but have x2 hoses to link up when the need arises.

theyre expensive but truly a top bit of kit. No leaks in the x12 years I’ve had it fitted. Bought mine new surplus stock on eBay for a very reasonable price. Internal bore is 10mm throughout which is a bonus.

• 1 year later...

I have a couple of these reels I use in the garage. One is snaked around the roof trusses to get air across to the other side of the garage. The other is handy if I need to run an airline into the house for any reason.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parkside-Pneumatic-Hose-Drum-20m-air-compressor-fabric-hose/302795253471

This retractable one has been very useful, but alas it seems NLA. Was only abouyt £15 when I bought it. Similaer ones are now around £35

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-10m-air-hose-reel/p/079393167520900 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have one that I think came from Machine Mart, I have mounted it on the ceiling of the garage so it will go in any direction and reach all of the garage but also go outside and reach anything there. The ceiling of my garage is 3.45m high so I've got the stopper set so it retracts to just high enough that it doesn't hit either me or a vehicle when rewound, but I can reach up and grab it easily enough.

The most important thing is that it's not restrictive which will completely throttle the airflow for air tools - so you want a 3/8" or 10mm one, the cheap 1/4" ones are not worth having except for (slow) tyre inflation!

I've also got my old Draper 25L compressor which I can charge up and throw in the back of the vehicle for a quick tyre job, if I need a much longer hose :)

On 7/30/2020 at 11:01 PM, Bowie69 said:

Hmm, wolf air products.... I'd steer clear probably, the fittings have laughably small holes for air to pass -think matchstick sized....

My Wolf air compressor (catalogue return - bought from ebay circa 2006) is still going strong, despite being left on for 24h once.  I opened the drain cock and neglected to turn off the compressor....

But I have never found a reel thing that lasted, or at least not one below £100.  I've given up and gone over to Erbauer 3/8 hose, seems to be good stuff that lasts.  I just coil it up, and keep a spare length around for reaching the end of the drive.

Let us know how you get on with the Wolf reel, as I'm tempted myself.  I quite like the idea of the rotary coupling being externally accessible so you can maintain it...