V8 problems

Simon_CSK

Had my p38 in the garage to be checked to see why it wasn't starting and it transpires that after some fettling they got the car to fire but when checked the compression across the engine was down at 50psi.

Not sure yet which bores but the engine has been sitting since October 2016 not doing anything and prior to that is was lying outside for a further 2 years. My thinking is that the rings have stuck 

. The garage assures me that I have a spark and fuel and everything else is fine it is just the lack of compression. 

What I want to know is what can I do to free the rings?

Run it, it'll pick up as everything seats and scrubs the crust off. Short of ripping it apart, that's about your only option. Not uncommon being recalcitrant after sitting a few years. Agreed on the atf if you have some. 

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

ATF in the bores?

Why ATF? The garage used oil and my brother suggested diesel.

2 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Run it, it'll pick up as everything seats and scrubs the crust off. Short of ripping it apart, that's about your only option. Not uncommon being recalcitrant after sitting a few years. Agreed on the atf if you have some. 

I am not sure if the car will start. I appreciate that once running it should heat up and free everything off. Now I know what the problem is I am quite happy to try and work away at it. 

Atf has detergents in it which can help clean the bores, valves and everything else that's covered in corrosion, sticky dried oil goo and suchlike. They'll run way worse than 50 psi down, so either the timing is wrong or its not getting the right amount of fuel if it really doesn't want to go.

Plugs out, few drops of atf or diesel in the holes and get cranking it over. Pop the plugs back in and have another go. 

Pretty much. A bit of ezstart doesn't hurt, gets it firing which burns some of the schmoo off, puts a bit of heat into it and off she goes. All else being equal, of course. Bowie is right, some lifters may have drained. She may well be quite tappetty for a while. Good luck! 

Excellent. The garage was saying that the car wasn't worth the money to repair it. Other than the engine I just need to get some new locks on it and sort a few scratches and dings it acquired in storage.

If you're factoring the garage's labour at £50+ per hour (and many now are £100/hr) it's hardly worth fixing anything that's worth less than 5k, but that's not the point.

If the lifters have leaked down (and I would fully expect them to) it will sound tappetty and horrible, but as long as it's got clean oil, good oil pressure, and it's warmed up, sometimes the only way to get them to pump back up is to rev it to about 4k briefly.

7 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If you're factoring the garage's labour at £50+ per hour (and many now are £100/hr) it's hardly worth fixing anything that's worth less than 5k, but that's not the point.

If the lifters have leaked down (and I would fully expect them to) it will sound tappetty and horrible, but as long as it's got clean oil, good oil pressure, and it's warmed up, sometimes the only way to get them to pump back up is to rev it to about 4k briefly.

FF

Agree with you but it is my pride and joy. and they charged me £217 to change the spark plugs and seal no 8 injector, and compression test the engine 😲

I will try putting diesel down the bores and see if we can get the rings to free off.

Aparrently two or more bores were at 50psi and a couple at 75psi. None of them were good enough to seal so I could be fighting an uphill struggle. The garage reconned that the piston rings were broken.

Just now, Bowie69 said:

If they were broken, how did all 8 get broken? And how are you getting ANY compression if they are broken?

If I were closer I'd pop over and give you a hand for a brew.

Bowie yes that is a very good point.

You couldn't get much further away but the offer is appreciated and if you are ever passing then you will be welcome for a brew just look for a house with multiple Range Rovers and a Discovery all in black 🤣

Whenever a garage tells you all 4 or 8 of something failed at exactly the same time they're bull****ing you, or more commonly just failing to really think about the problem - after all, they're mechanics not rocket surgeons, they mostly just take the 1st guess and charge you to change parts until it works or you get bored / run out of cash.

A V8 is not a complicated engine to rebuild, especially if you can hoik it out onto a bench. It's all simple bits and parts aren't that pricey (and upgrades are cheap too).

On 4/22/2019 at 4:44 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

A V8 is not a complicated engine to rebuild, especially if you can hoik it out onto a bench. It's all simple bits and parts aren't that pricey (and upgrades are cheap too).

I have done the heads and the cam on a 3.5 and have stripped down but not rebuilt a 4.6 bottom end so have done most of the work.

I have now put 20ml of diesel in each of the bores tonight so as I am away for the weekend I will leave it for a week before I try and start her.Fingers crossed that she will fire up.

• 1 month later...

Finally got the block out of the P38 today. Yes the compression may have been through the floor however when I stripped off the flywheel I found that the locating peg was flush with the boss and the flywheel was installed 180 degrees off the pin. So with the piston rings being stuck and the timing out so far there is a snowflakes chance in hell of getting it started. It would be unlikely even to get the ring unstuck.

My dilemma is do I reposition the flywheel and retry getting the rings unstuck or do I fit the replacement V8 that I bought. I think given the issues I will fit the replacement tomorrow and with any luck I will have two Land Rovers sorted, Then I can think about replacing the gearbox in my Mini. 

20190608_194344[1].jpg

If its a long term keeper stick the spare engine in to keep it running and rebuild that engine to go back in. Keeps your engine numbers right if its something that's likely to become a classic and you can make sure everything is right for a long lasting engine?

• Thanks 1

The engine isn't the original and I noticed yesterday that there isn't a number stamped into it. But I know the history because it has been in three of my cars and came from a freind before that.

I don't think it will take a lot to rebuild it but my car is a keeper for no other reason than I like it and it's mine. 

Hopefully I will get the new flywheel on Wednesday and then can start rebuilding the car and fingers crossed that all will be good as I really want to take the car to Europe over the summer and need to put some miles on it before I go. I love my Disco but I really miss my Range Rover(s).

Filip

Thanks for the offer.

Am meeting my wife at Charles de Gaul and spending a few night in Paris area before going to Hockenhiem for the Grand Prix then on to Budapest for the Grand Prix. I  have a worderful wife who indulges my pastimes even though we see very little of each other.

Have no plans for Belguim this trip but who know where we will end up .