Marshall's ambulance 109 onto new chassis

I'm biased when it comes to Dormobile roofs as clients, friends and others have had a lot of problems with them..

I hope to get the 110 sorted this weekend motor wise - something broke - and the hatch project is going to be interesting.

Good luck with the GRP !!

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Badger110 said:

Got it 👍

However now we're thinking of buying a complete SIIa ambulance and selling the TDCi...

Back to old skool :D

A mate of mine is thinking about selling his 2a Marshall. I'll grab some details if you're interested? 

• Like 1

I went today to view a S2a marshalls with a 2.1/4 petrol under the hood.

First thoughts were the rear area isn't as large as i originally thought height wise, in fact it's the same as a standard Landy inside or thereabouts but it does have the added width.

However the roof can be raised with some fabrication to give a little more height...something like a Pulse body height, combined with the Dormobile roof it could provide a nice light living area to work on.

I would also consider a new rear door section, doing away with the double doors and creating a single smaller central door.

Will i buy it?  Still not 100%...i'll no doubt post my musings on the matter as i think about it...

Would probably look quite nice with the roof raised a little, but careful with the weight. They got the nickname "magic Marshall" for being fully capable of turning four casualties and a driver into five casualties when (not infrequently) rolled. The anti-roll bars do help, but worth bearing in mind! I'll pm details as they arrive, but sounds like you may have found a candidate 

Yeah they're cool looking but as you say there's naff-all height in the back for campering unless you pop the top. TBH with 109/110" wheelbase you're slightly limited anyway by the time you've made space for 2 people horizontally you've used a lot of floor. Depends what you're after from a camper really, you can see the whole build thread of our 127 here, shows what you can do with an extra 20" :blink:.

There's been the odd 109" Lomas ambulance come up, we originally missed out on one (that was good from a distance but quite tired the closer you looked) which led to us buying the 127.

This style does crop up from time to time and I think they look really cool, properly classic:

109_ambulance2.jpg.ba91d11c4d60cbf4ed4c68bbdaf4a931.jpg

• Like 1

Civilian ambulances do look good, finding one is like rocking horse poo.

Still haven't decided on the Marshall's as i have a Bedford CF freeway ready for a rebuild and i'm torn between rebuilding that or taking the roof from it and retro fitting it to a marshall's.

The TDCi is a great motor, but not practical for what we want to achieve with trips across the world, one upset and i need to carry laptops and bypassing sensors,  i prefer old skool mechanical fix's.

It does come down to cost though, the Puma will have to go and fund a camper build of a different variety.  Although we have successfully camped in the converted 110 and i love it, we need more room.

On 5/18/2019 at 9:58 PM, lo-fi said:

Would probably look quite nice with the roof raised a little, but careful with the weight. They got the nickname "magic Marshall" for being fully capable of turning four casualties and a driver into five casualties when (not infrequently) rolled. The anti-roll bars do help, but worth bearing in mind! I'll pm details as they arrive, but sounds like you may have found a candidate 

Cheers, always open to ideas and offers :)

On 5/18/2019 at 10:03 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Yeah they're cool looking but as you say there's naff-all height in the back for campering unless you pop the top. TBH with 109/110" wheelbase you're slightly limited anyway by the time you've made space for 2 people horizontally you've used a lot of floor. Depends what you're after from a camper really, you can see the whole build thread of our 127 here, shows what you can do with an extra 20" :blink:.

I have read the build thread, some interesting down to earth stuff which i like 👍

Pretty much yes...looks like he’s used the s2a windscreen and adjusted the bulkhead to take it.

its got a few tarty bits on it but it would be interesting to see what it goes like with a 200tdi in it loaded up like that