losing my cool

Hi Folks, I'm new here but been a member of the Landy family for a long time, had a 200tdi defender for years which I could have trusted to take me anywhere, it's now departed  and I'm now the not so proud owner of a Td5 which has given me nothing but bother, now It's lurking shamefully in the corner with a blown head gasket and probably needing a head too.I've already put one head on it, a good used one , when I bought it and it's never been warmed or low on coolant as I drive it myself Question is, do I bite the bullet and get a new head or has anyone ever done a conversion to tdi?  I never felt that the Td5 had the same low down torque as the 200 (with boost pin)  and I need a land rover that I can trust as it's my daily drive.  

Any thoughts?

Personally I think going to a tdi is a massive step backwards....

The TD5 in standard form has plenty of low down torque and revs really happily past 4k... 

I don't know how you quantify a good used head... Was the head tested in any way? Was it totally flat? 

I've put over 100k on my engine since I got it and it's ran really well. I had an issue with the cam hardening failing on the injector cam and replaced the head for speed more than anything and the internals looked really good while the top was off.

If the head is good, the correct head gasket used, new bolts and the correct clamping procedure used, I see no reason why the gasket should blow so soon. 

I'd take the time to check the oil pump (pressure) to make sure oil is getting to and through any head fitted. But if it's not overheated and nothing wrong with the oil circulation, I can see no reason why is should blow.

What symptoms do you have that lead you to the conclusion of a blown head gasket?

Take the head off and get it pressure tested and skimmed - pressure testing will show up any cracks.  If all good, go through the head gasket replacement proceedure to the letter, including a top quality gasket and new stretch bolts. 

The symptoms are blowing coolant out of the pressure cap, took 8 litres to get nursed home last night, strange temp guage readings, it never moved off cold yet when  I kept the coolant topped up enery couple of miles I was getting warm air from the blower( I was using that as an indicator of level, soon as it cooled down it was time for more coolant) and down on power. 

When I fitted the head everything was done as I wanted it right, head was pressure tested and checked for straightness, quality gaskets, genuine injector seals,  new bolts throughout, including the exhaust manifold studs.