DIY Roof Console Project - Defender / Series 2a/3

Hi all, just wondered if anyone has had a DIY go at making their own roof console to fit either the defender or series 2a/3?

Want to have a go at making one and obviously looking to make it at a more affordable price than what they are currently

being sold at, plus it can be customized to my own spec.

all advise and help greatly appreciated 

Cheers

Rich

It's not really any help.... but I'm going to be building an Ali one for the roof of mine at some point.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:07 AM, Badger110 said:

I find mudstuff items overly expensive for what they are, unfortunately no one else at the moment does an off the shelf console for the roof.

IMO the cost of the MUD items are completely justified. They are all decent quality, fit well and plastic molding tooling costs = ££££. 

PUBLIC NOTICE (LOL)

I just noticed looking through the topic that Steve had made up a card template for his custom dash, I've been looking around the interweb for card to make such templates out of, but have drawn a blank so far, so does anyone know a contact or website where I can purchase some firm card, say 500mm x 1000mm or so, to make up templates, the alternative is to pop along to Lidi (Other supermarkets also apply) and buy 10 boxes of cereal just for the card, but I don't thing even my wife is that tolerant when it comes to spending out on project SHY lol.

Rich

If you use corex (like corrugated card but plastic) I think it's called protex in wicks. You can lay fibreglass straight onto it and it will peel off after cured. It does leave a rippled finish but you can sand, fill, fair and then paint it afterwards.

Mike

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

If you use corex (like corrugated card but plastic) I think it's called protex in wicks. You can lay fibreglass straight onto it and it will peel off after cured. It does leave a rippled finish but you can sand, fill, fair and then paint it afterwards.

Mike

Cheers Mike had a quick look, https://www.wickes.co.uk/Proplex-Black-Surface-Protection-Sheet---2mm-x-1-2m-x-2-4m/p/118670 not really what I'm looking for,

but now in my head ready for any future projects

Cheers

Rich

This one we did for the Series, many, many years ago.

image.png.86b27e0de38f337a24de3a2745c26e08.png

At the moment, it is getting an "new" on as the vehicle is being rebuild and I want to add a few things to the roof.

On 5/8/2019 at 12:49 PM, SHY 7G said:

PUBLIC NOTICE (LOL)

I just noticed looking through the topic that Steve had made up a card template for his custom dash, I've been looking around the interweb for card to make such templates out of, but have drawn a blank so far, so does anyone know a contact or website where I can purchase some firm card, say 500mm x 1000mm or so, to make up templates, the alternative is to pop along to Lidi (Other supermarkets also apply) and buy 10 boxes of cereal just for the card, but I don't thing even my wife is that tolerant when it comes to spending out on project SHY lol.

Rich

Try the rag trade/haberdashery shops for card. My wife is ex-rag trade and she has dozens of patterns that are thick manilla card.

It's about 1m wide and is in a roll, but the shops should sell per meter for small piecemeal jobs. You can get regular manilla paper as well as the card, so be careful of the weight per sq meter when you buy it.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:49 AM, SHY 7G said:

PUBLIC NOTICE (LOL)

Rich

Try a picture framers. The card is good quality and when they cut out a mount the middle is spare