Am I mad? Probably...

Ed Poore

So an acquaintance (ironically who I sold my TDV8 to) passed away recently and a mutual friend has asked if I'm interested in buying his 6x6. I thought it was a diy build but turns out it's one of the elusive Sandringham 6x6s albeit not completely original. Currently it's got a 2.8 Nissan straight 6 diesel in it and an exhaust stack behind the cab which apparently sounds incredible (will hopefully be seeing it tomorrow).

The chassis is very solid and had an mot last year but oil pressure issues and surplus of vehicles meant it wasn't back on the road.

Now it has a strange appeal to me and being a flatbed with pickup and 2 tonne payload makes it quite tempting for my new place in the country. I also have sat at the new place an externally rough P38 with a good 4.6 in it and after the crank escapades a spare (albeit missing cranks) 1.5x 300Tdis and a friend with whom I may experiment with converting one to a 2.8TGV spec.

Question is what do people think it's worth? I have my ideas but curious what others think.

There is also a crane, pto compressor and generator on the cars so could turn it into quite a handy little tool.

And because pics are obligatory

Sandy.JPG.d0fe895682dcdde4e5c1813355a5f3fa.JPG

• Like 2

Definitely buy it. There's been a couple of 6x6 on eBay recently. There's a restored sandringham at £32k, a rangie fire truck tatty £6k, another rangie with no rear body £3.5k and some tidy defender base at plus £40k. I think as bowie says £6k is a good starting point.

Mike

Rebuild?! It's going to be put to work! But firstly I've got to sell my house in Surrey to free up the funds. 

Through a twist of fate I'm moving back to West Wales into a slightly excessive house mansion. So I've got a barn, stables and blacksmiths forge area to gut to turn into some usable workshops and labs for a business.

Having the flatbed would be handy for shifting materials around. At least that's my justification :ph34r:. Plan is probably to have a log burner heating the workshops and labs so transporting firewood from my parents place down the road is another justification.

I was thinking £6k was a decent starting point, however the condition of the chassis makes me think they're going to ask more. It's a bit of an awkward one because it's a friend whose helping out selling the many cars that were acquired over his lifetime and naturally trying to get a good price on all of them whilst I'm trying to politely push the price down!

• Like 1

Be very careful... but I'm sure you're aware what you're getting yourself into..

Make sure it is really a 6x6 as I have seen a few that were "converted" as the bits are not expensive, they're eye watering...

Other than that, price is always something open for discussion and if you're willing to pay the amount, it was a fair price.

Bon Courage !

Buy it Ed. I keep looking at cars I regret not buying and keeping or, even worse, those that I have got rid of but should have kept! If you dont take it, let me know what they might be after!!

Edited by reb78

Well I went to see it yesterday and it did nothing to reduce the want...

It was a veritable treasure trove down there. Original 3 door classic very rust free, another 3 door classic rust free shell and chassis, 109 straight six with safari roof, Disco pick up, a P38 and my old L322. Damn it, so many good finds.

Thankfully it'll take a while to sort paperwork and just need to negotiate a price.

3 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Out of all the Land Rovers I've had the 2.6 LWB remains one of my favourites.

I am still itching for a petrol engined Landy. I started with the 19j, then a 200tdi, next up was a td5 and now a puma but i'm hankering to go the other way and get a petrol...

5 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Well I went to see it yesterday and it did nothing to reduce the want...

It was a veritable treasure trove down there. Original 3 door classic very rust free, another 3 door classic rust free shell and chassis, 109 straight six with safari roof, Disco pick up, a P38 and my old L322. Damn it, so many good finds.

Thankfully it'll take a while to sort paperwork and just need to negotiate a price.

Just being curious, but is the 109 up for sale?

Edited by Badger110

Having got a 6x6 they are great, but there are are a few issues to consider - it will almost certainly be over 3.5 tonne, so will be an HGV! 

Mine was, but had been run on a Class 7 MOT (illegally) for years, and before that it was mobile plant and so had never been plated. It took me six months with DVLA to get it down rated to 3.5 tonne (which makes life much simpler).

However it is great - go for it!

20 minutes ago, Rightfoot said:

Having got a 6x6 they are great, but there are are a few issues to consider - it will almost certainly be over 3.5 tonne, so will be an HGV! 

I was aware of that issue - the previous owner had diabetes so was limited on what he could drive so there were plans for down-plating it anyway. As it stands I don't have C+E but considering doing it anyway because it'd be handy to have then I might bump it back up so the payload can be increased.

19 hours ago, Badger110 said:

Just being curious, but is the 109 up for sale?

Sort of - it's probably going to be sold from the estate once the probate is sorted out but the mutual friend we had is quite tempted (quite as in like I am with the 6x6) by it so I suspect he'll buy it off the family.