Seal seating tools

Gazzar

I've a few seals to fit, and I would like to get a bit  smarter at fitting them.

What's the best material to make a tool for a seal fitting thing? Ali or steel?

Ali is nice and easy to turn and way softer than the bearings so much less chance of scratching bearings if something doesn't go quite right. Delrin or Acetal (machinable nylon type stuff) is good too; it's easily strong enough. 

14 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Ali is nice and easy to turn and way softer than the bearings so much less chance of scratching bearings if something doesn't go quite right. Delrin or Acetal (machinable nylon type stuff) is good too; it's easily strong enough. 

Delrin is a trade name for acetal.

1 hour ago, vulcan bomber said:

Delrin is a trade name for acetal.

You learn something every day! It's handy stuff, I've been getting offcuts from an engineering firm down the road for years and made all sorts out of it. 

Delrin/acetal is certainly one of the nicer plastics out there to machine.

Plastic as a general will machine with carbide inserts as long as your not trying to do something thin where it will just deflect out of shape. You will do much better with positive rake inserts however.

If your machining plastic in the future avoid the glass filled stuff at all cost.