AndrewFoxPitt

Driver's footwell rust

Hello everybody

My Defender's got a fair bit of rust in the driver's footwell. Picture attached.

Does anybody have any advice as to the best course of action to remedy it?

Thanks20190430_143845.thumb.jpg.348c5592161b38bcf25923719a9d45f8.jpg

Can you or somebody you know weld? You can either cut away the rusted area and weld in a piece of steel or buy whole new foot well sections to be welded in. Google "Defender Footwell Repair and the sections will come up from numerous suppliers.

Given the state of the footwell, have you given the rest of the bulkhead (top corners for example) a good poke around for more corrosion? Same advice for the chassis.

@monkie Chassis fine! If you look through the hole you can see! Not a bit of rust! Well not from the front bumper to the gearbox anyway! 😋🤣🤣

either replace the complete footwellas I did ---- 

or cut the rot out & have new metal welded in.

I did mine recently and just welded a large patch in as I had the steel lying around. It's a good time to have a good bash around your outriggers while you have access.

Try not to get a dose of specification creep as I did. I started one footwell in January and it's still not back on the road yet. I may as well have SORNed it for a few months!

• Like 1

I cut mine out and made stainless steel ones out of offcuts from the refrigeration guys next door. No problem mig welding stainless to mild, but not sure if it will corrode with two different steels.