Superwinch H14 information?

I have just picked up an ex utility Defender 200tdi fitted (by Land Rover SVO) with a Superwinch H14, the mechanical PTO driven version.

I am trying to find a manual for the winch but all of the links (well the ones I have found) previously posted on this site appear to be dead.

If anyone here has a PDF copy of the User or Service manuals for the PTO driven H14, or an exploded diagram, I would be very grateful if you could share them with me.

I would also be interested in a copy of the fitting instructions, as this may end up on another vehicle.

The winch is the kind with the knob on the end like the one in the picture below.

10500713wz.jpg

The knob on mine appears to be stuck fast, so I assume that I will need to partially dismantle the unit to get it to work.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Hippo.

The Knob on mine is seized solid.

It will not push in, pull out or rotate.

It seems the manual for this type of winch is like rocking horse poo.

Superwinch have not replied to my enquiry for a service manual / exploded diagram,  and the Tavistock telephone number for Superwinch is no longer in service.

20190430_202235.thumb.jpg.d61f1d56e1f61aca0f0cf65453fae5db.jpg

20190430_202224.jpg

Thank you, the cut away diagram helps.

It looks as if the complete freespool end of the winch simply slides off of the shaft / drum?

I am unable to pull the cable out by hand.

I have just operated the winch in reverse with the engine running, and the drum rotated feeding cable out of the fairlead.

So. It seems I have a working PTO / winch, but the freespool is seized in a not fully disengaged position.

They are pretty mechanically simple things to take apart. As a first step, I'd try lots of penetrating spray, and try rocking the winch drum back and forwards as you pull the plunger out. 

I used to have the 'lever out of the back' version of a H14, and there were only 2 positions in the rotation of the drum where it would lock into 'engaged', and you stood no chance of moving it back out into freespool if there was any pressure on the rope.

6 hours ago, daveturnbull said:

......... I'd try lots of penetrating spray, and try rocking the winch drum back and forwards as you pull the plunger out. .........

Thanks for posting, It sounds so simple when you say it like that.

Currently, it has been getting WD40 at random intervals for a couple of days.

The Alloy Freespool knob has at last started moving it can be "wiggled" by hand and moves quite freely in relation to the steel collar that it sits on.

It will also move in out around 5mm, however to achieve this I have to knock the lever in with a hammer, and wood block, and pry it out with a tyre lever.

It is not possible to move the drum at all by hand, even when using both hands.

I have been able to rotate the drum manually by using a 19mm spanner on the hexagonal shaft in the drive linkage under the power steering pump.

Obviously it is not possible to rotate the winch and move the knob at the same time using this method, so I have been rolling underneath, applying a couple of turns to the shaft with the spanner, getting out and knocking the knob in, prying it out, getting back underneath, .....

Bloody knackered. still only a few mm of movement.  My best guess now is that the release gear is stuck / seized on the main shaft through the drum.

With luck, it will free up tomorrow.

Many thanks, Hippo.

WD40 will not do it - use proper penetrating oil stuff.

Drown it in the stuff - they easily seize up when not used regularly.

Had the earlier type on a Ninety - big, heavy, slow and pulls everything.

Bon Courage !

Update:

I managed to spend some time on this over the weekend.

I used the instructions posted in Daveturnbull's Hi4 install thread Here as a guide, they confirmed that the freespool housing does indeed just lift off.

Well at least it should do, mine was stuck solid!

After much lube, (now using an Acetone / ATF mix) and a whole lot of prying, hitting and swearing, the winch was left suspended by the freespool housing, a couple of inches above the floor for the night.

20190504_190214.thumb.jpg.958d80430c6b09eb3b7e014f4aff50d9.jpg

There are a couple of drain holes in the bottom of the housing, and it is possible to squirt lubricant towards the shaft and dog assembly.

When I came back the next day it was still not coming off. The T shaped freespool handle seemed to be stopping it from coming away.

The Allen head bolt in the handle was seized, and the head rounded out, I had to get very brutal with it in order to get it undone.

20190505_151955.thumb.jpg.310fbbb35b5b6e2200dc211754981c7e.jpg

With the handle removed and the aid of some large levers, the freespool housing finally came away from the drum.

20190505_151912.thumb.jpg.54f0a5b3331b3edfac79884f0ab81910.jpg

The reason this was such a pig to get off was that the freespool dog and the end bearing were seized to the shaft, and the whole lot pulled out of the housing together as one solid lump.

20190505_152527.thumb.jpg.191c5e1370e886d3c40086dd516eac4d.jpg

With that off it was plain sailing to pull off the bearing & knock of the dog.

The drum would still not rotate around the shaft, so that also had to be removed.

20190505_165304.thumb.jpg.4599f472d6e8254dd75ad5a16c0c4731.jpg

After everything was cleaned and resembled (with a little grease) everything seems to work as it should., The freespool handle pulls out by hand, and is snapped back into place by the spring, thus locking the drum.

Now, when locked the drum can be rocked by hand a few degrees against the dog.

Very happy.

A big Thank Youto all who replied here offering advice.

The exploded diagram posted by Anderzander was very helpful, and Arjan's post got me looking at alternatives to WD40.

Many thanks, Hippo

Edited by MR-HIPPO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Great news Hippo 😊👍🏻

They are a serious piece of kit aren’t they ? 😁

Indeed.

They appear to be fairly well built, and I would not fancy doing that job without a hoist.

2 minutes ago, western said:

Superwinch at Tavistock have ceased trading, been bought out by another company.

Yes, saw the workshop auction mentioned on here a few weeks ago.

I emailed Superwinch  in the US for a manual, but so far no response.

• 11 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 4:47 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm searching for the H14W manual and was delighted to see that link, unfortunately though it doesn't work for me, but I'm not sure if it's just because I don't have a login for the fuddymuckers site, but I can't find how to register. Doing my nut in 😂

• 1 year later...