Windscreen wiper removal

Hello everybody

Thanks for your advice re the footwell rust.

I've got another problem I'm currently working on - the windscreen wipers are moving very slowly (they go back into position) so I'm currently stripping the system down to the motors as detailed here; https://www.firstfour.co.uk/news/land-rover-defender-wiper-repair-guide/

I've come across quite a fiddly problem though - how on earth do you remove these parts of the windscreen wipers (the large parts on the end)?

Thanks

20190501_174846.thumb.jpg.41b130ef5692f74b6d3956278e9fd924.jpg

20190501_174854.thumb.jpg.3a0f4119ef95a3c5828465ae2f0d3f0b.jpg

Its a metric grub screw - can't remember if it takes a 2 or 2.5mm allen key, but you may find it's just rusted and worn - drill the grub screw out and pop a couple of new spindles on.

If the wipers are going slow, you probably don't need to take the entire gubbins to bits and dash out - just withdraw the wiper cable and regrease, clean and regrease the wiper motor gears, squirt some oil down the spindle shafts and spin them round a bit, push the wiper cable back up the tube and back on the motor and give it a try - 30 mins work. 

If the flats in the grubscrew have rounded-off/rusted-away, you could do a lot worse than get a 'reverse thread' drill of suitable diameter and drill it out (using your drill on the reverse-setting of course).

If you're lucky the heat from drilling, combined with the torque, will mean that at some point the bit 'bites' hard into the grubscrew and it screws itself out. If not, don't worry - just keep on going until you've mashed the grubscrew to swarf.

Did mine last month, as vulcan bomber says they could well be imperial. My old ones on the motor were but the new spindle adapters were metric!?!

That said even when you have sorted the grub screw issue the next problem will be getting the spindle adapters off!!! Some are easy some not so!

May need to be cut off, some have suggested using a nut splitter or carefully angle grind, so be prepared as they can be stubborn little suckers!

I'll just cut them off with a cutting disc and replace the boxes and cable, around a £50 expense.

Yes I already have another windscreen seal ready to go but I'm just in the process of getting it ready for sale and I think I'll just leave it for the new owner, as they may decide to fit a heated windscreen.

Thanks all for your help!

You don't have to be that destructive. When I did mine the grub screws got chewed up so I drilled them out. Next problem was that the spindle adapters were stuck on the spindle. I made some very careful cuts with an angle grinder in the adapters to allow me to take them off without damaging the spindle. It took some care and patience but managed to get it sorted without much expense. 

Ok guys, a little update.

I replaced the boxes + checked the original cable (all fine), put it all back on and...very little difference.

I also noticed that selecting a faster wiper speed does nothing, just the same lethargic speed as the slower setting.

I've looked at replacing the park motor switch but that seems to only affect where the wipers stop?

The brushes have been mentioned to me as a good place to start, what do you think?

Thanks again for your help!

Brushes definitely can affect speed if worn, but friction is your enemy, so don't overgrease the cable. I recently had a dry bottom bearing in the motor too.  Maybe check the voltage the motor is actually getting is something approaching battery voltage.