Dashboard Repair

I've got a tear in the top of the dashboard material near the ash tray that is irritating me as it looks awful. I've done a bit of a Google search and came up with this stuff in the link here.

Any tips or advice for how to sort this damage out? I'll post a photo up of the damage when I get to it.

Sounds like the answer to a maiden's prayer. I have a cut in my dash top that has irritated me for ages. Might well give this a go. The instructions seem fairly comprehensive.

Edited by neil110

I think you might be right but here is a picture of the damage. I would like to do better than just stick some black tape over it. 

IMG_20190502_124912.jpg

Edited by monkie
Spelling

Sorry if this is a bit of a silly question Richard, but how and with what are you planning to cover it with? I think that would be neater than a patch repair of some sort. 

I would think that there should be a vinyl product that would do it? I used a fabric on the roof lining and a different (flatter/smoother) version of that would cover that piece relatively well I think.

• Like 1

I had wondered about this, but my worry is that I would make a crinkled mess of it! I found this on youtube, but I googled the products to do the repair and I think is an expensive way to do it. I think I will try the repair kit from Frost and see how that goes. If it looks a mess I will go hunting in the scrap yards for a new dash that is in better condition.

I recovered mine myself when I did the 110 it came out quite well and hasn’t come undone, I’ll put a photo up over the weekend if people would like . I used closed cell from and vinyl from a firm online the sells automotive retrimming stuff can put a link up for people if they’d like ? If I remember correctly the original covering is like a spray on plastic stuff and when you remove it , it pulls the foam off underneath .

I would definitely say have a go yourself if you buy the stretchy vinyl it’s quite an easy job to do with time and patience. I’m planning on retrimming parts of the dash in the project when I get that far .

45 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Silly question but.....can’t you just fit a new dash top?

Yes, this in an option I am looking at, but basically I'm being lazy and looking for some sort of acceptable fix to save me taking the dash apart.

29 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

I recovered mine myself when I did the 110 it came out quite well and hasn’t come undone, I’ll put a photo up over the weekend if people would like . I used closed cell from and vinyl from a firm online the sells automotive retrimming stuff can put a link up for people if they’d like ? If I remember correctly the original covering is like a spray on plastic stuff and when you remove it , it pulls the foam off underneath .

I would definitely say have a go yourself if you buy the stretchy vinyl it’s quite an easy job to do with time and patience. I’m planning on retrimming parts of the dash in the project when I get that far .

Very interesting. Thank you. The end result looks great. I think some links would be helpful if you can find them.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:33 AM, monkie said:

Yes, this in an option I am looking at, but basically I'm being lazy and looking for some sort of acceptable fix to save me taking the dash apart.

It takes under ten minutes to swap the dash top!