Clutch issue?

I have a '95 300Tdi 90 and just lately when starting off in drive or reverse as i let the clutch out the motor seems to jump/lurch slightly!?! In all other gears u say it's fine only because i can up the revs a bit before engaging and disengaging the clutch.

Any ideas, and please dont say clutch is on its  way out?

Cheers Andy 

Check the handbrake cable - if it's binding and not allowing the shoes in the drum to retract fully it can cause a 'snatch' when first taking up drive.

[I've seen a couple of cases where the handbrake cable has been melted - the inner nylon liner of the central core being swollen. This was because there was an engine-to-chassis earth problem and the starter-motor current had been going down the centre of the handbrake cable causing it to get hot and melt the liner]

engine and gearbox,  My old 110 used to do it, but that was a n/a ex- mil, fitted with an Isuzu lump. no evidence of oil leak, and only did it first thing, so I developed a 'bad' habit of pulling away in second, slipping the clutch a tad.  (t box was changed for 1.4 btw).

Edited by Yostumpy