Slightly off topic. Forged con rods.

dave88sw

Hi,

Posted this here because there are many users on this forum who can probably give me a better answer than anyone on the various Volvo forums...

I have a T5 engined Volvo and i've bent a con rod (turbo overboost - didn't think it was possible but it's well documented and i've found a rod bent.).

Looking at replacing with an upgraded part as I NEVER want to do this again, it's a major job with the engine still in the car.  A supplier i've used before who have so far been very good have a set of forged rods for £396, which is a bit steep but they're no doubt good quality parts.  However, i have found on ebay a set: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4340-TuV-Certification-Connecting-Rods-for-Volvo-850-C70-T5-V70-2-3L-ARP-Bolts/372658849460?fits=Car+Make%3AVolvo|Cars+Type%3AT5&hash=item56c432c6b4:g:npcAAOSwIVVcky-3 for just short of £260. 

Has anybody got any comments on the cheaper rods, should i stay clear of them?  Found a few reviews for the brand that seem to be pretty good but no reviews for rods to suit a T5.

Many thanks

Dave

There are a lot of chinese made rods floating around - in general they seem to be OK, although they may require fettling - sometimes the little ends may need reaming a little to fit the pin through, stuff like that.. Most of them seem to be made in the same factory then random names are slapped on the side.

My other 'toy' other than the defender is a mk1 MX5, which has a rather large aftermarket turbo sat on the side of it running 'somewhat' more power than standard. We rebuilt the engine using chinese rods with no issues at all, and there's a LOT of people who have done the same with mazda engines (including with the brand you linke)...

The general consensus is if you want the absolute best and budget is no issue (ie. race motor or crazy crazy power), then you can pay the extra for the really exotic rods from a brand name, but for a normal road car the chinese ones are fine... 

5 minutes ago, vulcan bomber said:

Aren't con rods normally forged any way?

If only. Usually cast or even in some cases sintered (yep, scares the bejebus out of me too). Some are forged from factory in higher performance applications, but only in rare cases they really couldn't get away with cast. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dave88sw said:

Hi,

Posted this here because there are many users on this forum who can probably give me a better answer than anyone on the various Volvo forums...

I have a T5 engined Volvo and i've bent a con rod (turbo overboost - didn't think it was possible but it's well documented and i've found a rod bent.).

Looking at replacing with an upgraded part as I NEVER want to do this again, it's a major job with the engine still in the car.  A supplier i've used before who have so far been very good have a set of forged rods for £396, which is a bit steep but they're no doubt good quality parts.  However, i have found on ebay a set: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4340-TuV-Certification-Connecting-Rods-for-Volvo-850-C70-T5-V70-2-3L-ARP-Bolts/372658849460?fits=Car+Make%3AVolvo|Cars+Type%3AT5&hash=item56c432c6b4:g:npcAAOSwIVVcky-3 for just short of £260. 

Has anybody got any comments on the cheaper rods, should i stay clear of them?  Found a few reviews for the brand that seem to be pretty good but no reviews for rods to suit a T5.

Many thanks

Dave

Bent rods and cracked turbo's are common on the T5's, especially if you drive them properly 😁

£396 sounds about right for a set of decent aftermarket rods and I would go with them ..................... its probably easier to drop the front subframe and take the engine out, rather than struggle with it in the car ............ Whilst you have it all in bits have a really good look at the turbo ................

I knew it was worth posting here...

I'll have to see how much my wallet can take.  Theres lots of other associated parts (timing belt kit, head gasket etc) so the spend is already looking pretty high, fairly encouraging to hear positive experience of the cheaper rods though.

I'm not looking to increase power really, just prevent this happening again. 

I've already stripped the engine in the car, you're probably right that it would be easier to pull it out but i just havent got the space or equipment.  From what i'd read about the turbos, most crack in the wastegate seat and lose boost pressure but unless it's noticeable most people leave well alone.  I'll be happy just to have it running again.  It's much better on fuel than my V8 disco1 or series 3 2.25 petrol!!

Thanks

Dave