New springs ?

I fitted a set of TDCi 110 SW springs to my 110 TD5 SW.

They were new “take off” from one of the companies who bling up Defenders and cost £100 for 4.

l also fitted Terrafirma 4 way adjustable shocks all round and Discovery spring isolators to the front.

Shocks were £260 for the set and isolators about £30

After this the ride quality was noticeably better.

l posted this at the time on a couple of forums but it was pretty much ignored, a surprise when l described how it made the 110 so much better to drive.

I will have to have a check to see if I can get some good take offs  ...  but I would want like new really ..

Terrafirma , how have you found them ?  I thought these was much the same as the britpart stuff from what people are saying ..  

Edited by aevans692

I have a 34 year old 110. A number of years ago, I decided to change the scruffy looking original front springs for some new standard Britpart ones. After 2 years they had sagged significantly and had gone soft. I switched back to the scruffy originals which I am still running and am happy with them. Either keep what you have, or get some new or newer genuine ones. Many retailers will recommend Britpart because that is what they stock, what they can get easily and that they are at a price that most people would be happy to pay without complaint.

False economy. Regards, Diff.

24 minutes ago, aevans692 said:

I will have to have a check to see if I can get some good take offs  ...  but I would want like new really ..

I thought take-offs are new, or as good as, aren’t they?

I will be hunting for some take offs then ...  :)  

🏽@Diff  , the brit part shocks you took off , did you not get them replaced or refunded , they have a two year warrantee  , you could do that every 20 months and you'll have springs for life lol ...    

Edited by aevans692

Most of us on here are so disillusioned with britpart that they could offer a 10 year warranty. The trouble is after 20 years of stuff that doesn't fit, work or breaks/ wears out way before time you just don't bother. I tend to use bearmach or genuine (when I can afford it). I have used britpart but only for an inanimate part that I can't get or afford else where. Warranty's are great but agro and the fact the the dealer is normally the one that looses out put me off. Just my two pence worth.

Mike

• Like 1

The springs were brand new take-off, but these will be getting scarce as new Defenders are no longer being made of course.But l only got them in September 2018 (from Twisted Automotive LTD)

The Terrafirma shocks have been fine, 30,000 miles and still working.

l have them on the softest of the 4 settings and the ride is better. 

The second setting is supposed to be standard LR OE.

so you have one softer setting and two firmer ones.

l tried it on the firmest and it was a pretty hard ride. 

I just called Twisted and their “take off” section is run by “LR Surplus Parts” on 07533 377974

They have in stock 100 BRAND NEW DELIVERY MILES DEFENDERS ready for Twisted customers to buy and have blinged up.

So plenty of springs (100 sets!) wheels, engines etc (currently 30 delivery mileage 2.2 TDCi take-off engines on the shelf) 

No body panels etc, only the kind of parts that people would want upgrading such as wheels, seats, suspension, transmission 

Edited by Lightning

Why not fit OE for £120 all in...they are good springs. Make sure you tell them what model you have (Utility, SW, etc) as they are different rated.

For dampers  you could go brand new OE take-off from LR Surplus for about £60 all in

lf not l recommend the Terrafirma ones as they are adjustable for the type of ride quality that you want.

And fit some Disco 2 front spring isolators....every little helps.

Edited by Lightning

I was thinking as we are likely to be doing a lot of miles it might be worth investing in a little better shock .. 

ones which always come up are either ome or blistine , both yellow and would be a good colour match lol ..     but seriously have any of you guys used them  ..  cheers ..