Sign in to follow this  
Robbieboy

Pick up conversion.

Posted (edited)

So - if ever the thought of ‘let’s glue carpet to the inside of the roof’ crosses your mind... please don’t.😂

Started preparations to convert my standard ‘van sided’ swb into a pick up this week by removing the old rubber backed 80’s nylon carpet from the roof and bulkhead that I’ve bought.  

The new window channel arrived today, so hopefully a week or two will see the job completed. 👍👍

299FCF0C-BD6F-47F0-8683-5A41B9DAF12A.jpeg

Edited by Robbieboy
Spelling mistake!

I've been thinking about something similar but mine's a county so bit more involved.  Pictures when it's done, please.

Someone glued some really ratty carpet to my old bulkhead, convinced me carpet has no place in a Land Rover!

• Like 1

It is a really bad idea if you ever have to remove it....

Bon Courage !

If I read the OP correctly, a truck cab has been bought with carpet glued to the inside, which he is trying to remove.
I wonder if he realises the amount of condensation that will occur inside an unlined aluminium cab roof?

Put that another way, if carpet isn't used, what is the choice to make a 'warm' internal surface to the cab roof, and thus prevent the condensation?
Just to amplify that point, the condensation will drip off the roof onto the occupants, and is always cold!!

Instead of discussing carpet, I suggest discussing which glue will be strong enough to hold the carpet up, but weak enough enable the carpet to be removed, when and if required.

Regards

The la Salle roof liner doesn't stop the condensation, it just diverts it into the radio, or the gutter. 

You still need to insulate the roof. Heat resistant glue, and wooden floor underlay foam first.

Or neoprene?

11 hours ago, Gazzar said:

The la Salle roof liner doesn't stop the condensation, it just diverts it into the radio, or the gutter. 

You still need to insulate the roof. Heat resistant glue, and wooden floor underlay foam first.

Last time I bought a La Salle headlining it came with the foam insulation sheet and worked well once fitted. That wooden floor underlay is pretty dense stuff and should work well with the right glue 👍

Previous owner of mine has put polystyrene to mine, its the full lid and seems to work.. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:34 AM, David Sparkes said:

If I read the OP correctly, a truck cab has been bought with carpet glued to the inside, which he is trying to remove.
I wonder if he realises the amount of condensation that will occur inside an unlined aluminium cab roof?

Put that another way, if carpet isn't used, what is the choice to make a 'warm' internal surface to the cab roof, and thus prevent the condensation?
Just to amplify that point, the condensation will drip off the roof onto the occupants, and is always cold!!

Instead of discussing carpet, I suggest discussing which glue will be strong enough to hold the carpet up, but weak enough enable the carpet to be removed, when and if required.

Regards

12V electric heater's :D

Posted (edited)

Loving the stories here.  Soggy radios etc. 

Aldi sell packs of 10 square play mats made of a neoprene type material for a tenner a pack - so if i do get cold I might line it with them. 

I’ve had unlined roofs in pick ups before tho, yes you get dripped on, but that’s nothing compared to what flies through the holes in the floor.... 😂😂😂

I will get some pics and post them when it’s done.  

Thanks for all the support👍👍💪💪💪

Edited by Robbieboy
Spell checker making up words!

Sheet neoprene isnt too expensive (at least it dint used to be).  We used to buy it to make our own wet suits for caving.

Peter

You know what else isn't expensive? Proper closed-cell car insulation! :SVAgoaway:

GlassMAT HTX

It's actually properly heat-reflective, sound-absorbing / vibration damping, fire-retardant, doesn't absorb water or rot or fall off... this stuff made a huge difference to the ambulance just putting some round the underneath of the transmission tunnel. The stuff for the interior is similarly specially designed for purpose.