Posted (edited)

Ok so this is not quite a vapour build as it’s actually sat in front of me so just humour me eh ?. 

Been  giving lots of thought to how I want to build MUD , my 1989 110 . Considered stretching it to a 127 as that is my dream vehicle but A:it wouldn’t be very practical and B: I can’t b bothered with the full SVA test, losing the reg etc etc and C: The price of second hand SW bodies and parts has gotten stupid so ..........

This was going to be a very long winded post but to cut it short ,what are your opinions on a Hicap station wagon ? I’m thinking build a body for the Hicap using a widened and lengthened hard top roof , remove one of the bulkheads, probably the truck cab bulkhead to give more leg room in the front (I’m 6 foot 2 !)and hopefully 1 rear door on the near side (need to check the legality of this ) obviously the truck cab and the Hicap will need to be combined into one unit for strength/sealing . I expect it will still need an SVA test but no chassis mods will make it easier(I hope !) I have plenty of Land Rover body bits laying around including a shortened 110 rear tub and roof and a full internal/external cage will take care of the safety aspect (the crushability of a standard Landy is quite scary ) . I will go into more specific details later , I’m just after a general forum yeah/ney discussion . 

James 

Edited by Ozzy50

The end profile will be something like these 

0CE824AF-95EC-47F0-B941-2EC829A7A18B.jpeg

F475E640-A590-4A9E-B6B7-DF910488F9B4.jpeg

EF17DE50-A546-4E93-B336-393FCAC131E6.jpeg

D9981AED-2A10-4D1B-8C00-8BE6B2DCB692.jpeg

4D259073-3BCC-41F3-9710-E74960DA1956.jpeg

As she sits now , currently registered as a SW and yes at the moment she makes a very good storage area !

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

I’m thinking Hicap station wagon as A: I have the Hicap B: I like the profile of the Hicap 😄 I like the extra load space of the Hicap as I will often carry 500kg plus of corn in 25kg bags ( currently make several trips in my Clio van , once had 500kg in the back of a disco !) and d: i like to be different and I like a challenge 🙄. Thoughts and inputs please 

Edited by Ozzy50
Stupid fone kept changing C and D into emojis 🤬

I like it, should make quite a unique vehicle. As you're not messing with chassis, axles, brakes, engine or steering, I don't believe you'll be in IVA territory. Looking forward to the build thread! 

Posted (edited)

Still registered as a 3.5 V8 but I plan on fitting a(nother!) Diesel however I think it still wouldn’t qualify for IVA . And will deffo do a build thread 

Edited by Ozzy50

Well obviously I'd keep the V8 :P but should be an interesting project - I don't think bodywork changes should have any legal/SVA implications on a Defender, but that sort of talk is banned in this sub-forum so I'll stop there before the bun-fight starts :ph34r:

Mind you, if you can find a 127 or 130 as a project that would be the ultimate - no substitute for an extra 20 inches :blink:

29 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Well obviously I'd keep the V8 :P but should be an interesting project - I don't think bodywork changes should have any legal/SVA implications on a Defender, but that sort of talk is banned in this sub-forum so I'll stop there before the bun-fight starts :ph34r:

Mind you, if you can find a 127 or 130 as a project that would be the ultimate - no substitute for an extra 20 inches :blink:

I'd agree with that. As long as the chassis isn't being modified, you can chop and change a defender bodyshell around as much as you like.

I know of a 130 with a quadtech rear body that would make a very decent project vehicle, and I doubt it will be all that expensive. PM me if you're interested.

Mav

^ Quadtech was the name I was trying to remember... yes there's some 130's out there with those bodies which look pretty good for a conversion.

All positive encouragement 👍🏻I’m not completely mad then , excellent 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy50 said:

All positive encouragement 👍🏻I’m not completely mad then , excellent 

No everyone in this section is completely mad with you. Go for it and I pretty sure you won't need an IVA too.

Fridge you can comment on IVA in here but only if the op requests it. Because it is assumed it has already been looked at.

Mike 

• Like 2

I am the moderator of this forum and I allow you to use the word IVA. It is a stupid rule, designed for people who do not want to know the truth. My car is SVA tested because it needed it. Your planned build, however does not need an IVA, unless you want to extend to a 130 wheelbase.

Nice project, keep the updates coming!

Daan

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

No everyone in this section is completely mad with you. Go for it and I pretty sure you won't need an IVA too.

Fridge you can comment on IVA in here but only if the op requests it. Because it is assumed it has already been looked at.

Mike 

Image result for we're all mad here

Maverik has thrown a spanner in the works 🤨

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Daan said:

I am the moderator of this forum and I allow you to use the word IVA. It is a stupid rule

Far be it from me to disagree with our glorious mods... but IMHO it's a good rule for this sub-forum as the old arguments were incredibly tedious and took away from the focus on building things.

The paperwork can be fabricated later. Maybe a sub-forum for rules & regs? :ph34r:

• Like 1

Problem with sub forums is that no one reads it. It was negotiated by people who build a car for off roading only and don't need their cars to be road legal, then others who are having a moan at them for it being not road legal. Crossed wires basically. This forum is grown up enough for it not to need it, but this probably not a discussion for here.

That said, this is the only forum or mag I have seen where there are people who actually know what they are talking about when it comes to IVA. The most informative forum out there basically.

Anyway, I digress. So OZZY are you getting the 130 that maverick mentioned?

Alas no , having discussed it with SWMBO we have agreed that funds won’t allow it at the moment  however that does mean I can concentrate on MUD . I have been looking at how I can use disco 1 rear door windows for the rear door(s) in the Hicap, updates and fotos by the weekend 

So plan on using these , either the full piece inc the quarter light or just the square , depends how it looks , obviously the whole unit slides out of the disco door inc the leccy  motor 👌🏻

2BDFAFBD-76B2-4E5F-986A-A2E825EC1509.jpeg

Also have this bobtailed 110 body to cut up and use as needed , hoping to use this for the b post bulkhead so that I don’t have to cut up the new Hicap bulkhead that I have 

2E37AB62-65D3-4F32-9F00-E7CE0853FE46.jpeg

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

And the motor will have a roll cage which will be/carry a low profile roof rack , I’ve made rollcages before but might have to outsource the bending this time as I would like it in CDS and I only have a plumbers type pipe bender not a mandrel bender . I’m not bad at bodywork either . This is a bobtailed bullnosed traybacked disco 200 , engine 10 inches back in the chassis etc etc . For sale if anybody wants it 

BC85F05B-A1C1-4FE2-BA7F-8E50DCC666CF.jpeg

5A46EE6D-BFAD-439D-B311-4A473FB0269A.jpeg

Edited by Ozzy50

Posted (edited)

Also need to reinstate the full chassis as it’s bobtailed at the mo (a moment of madness) will make my own 1/4 chassis as I want to make my own heavy duty rear crossmember , I have a plasma cutter and a friends 110 for a template so no problems there 

image.jpg

Edited by Ozzy50

I personally would avoid many hassles and ditch the side doors just entering through the rear like 3rd row on a disco, hell even use disco seats they are comfortable enough with extra legroom.

I have a tub with knackered utility roller door in the side you could cut up for the bulkhead I would swap for a hi cap bulkhead, I'm only in Leeds if you didn't want to butcher your other tub.

A 110roof cut down the middle and widened would keep proportions, for the roof not too far from standard.

Will.

Thought this picture might be of interest to this build? 

Obviously this is a 130 hi cap so your door should work a bit better than theirs

0852795a7137ed271d4ddb76865fa526.jpg

I don't have any more information apart from the picture although it looks to be made from an ex-SSE/utility top like below, I'm not sure if they made these in a 110 variant either.

Landrover-Defender-130-Project.jpg