Bulkhead woes

Clark are okay. There's a lot of knowledge about them on mig welding forum, so if your welder dies, you can probably fix it. 

Not amazing. But the red stuff is not a bad option second hand. See it working!

Mines 20 years old and still does what needs doing.

On 27 June 2019 at 9:17 PM, Gazzar said:

Clark are okay. There's a lot of knowledge about them on mig welding forum, so if your welder dies, you can probably fix it. 

Not amazing. But the red stuff is not a bad option second hand. See it working!

Mines 20 years old and still does what needs doing.

I'll echo that. My Clarke has survived abuse and done a lot of welding over the last 18yrs (150 amp model) so don't discount them. I keep threatening  to replace it but it still plods away and for a budget/DIY spec machine it can lay down some nice welds. 

The way i see it, unless i distort the chassis somehow, i can't really make it worse than it already is so i might as well give it a bash. The only additional cost is the welding machine but by the sounds of it these things last decades so i'm sure i'll get the use out of it.

Go for it.

Being able to stick bits of metal together (even crudely) is a real game changer.

You will be amazed how many uses you can find for a mig welder, it will change the way you look at a / approach a multitude of problems.

I wager it will not be long before you wonder how on earth you managed without one.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:35 AM, paime said:

The only additional cost is the welding machine

Which will likely have paid for itself after the 1st job or two... and if not you can sell it again without losing much unless you've blown it up somehow :ph34r:

I'm struggling to find myself a welder. I'd like a min 130amp, 13v socket with a euro torch and hopefully for somewhere in the region of £300. Ebay has some but it's all local collection and postage is monstrous on the heavy machines. I've tried gumtree but it's slim pickings up here in Aberdeen and i've also looked at i-bidder. Is there anywhere else i need to be looking or is it a matter of waiting until the right deal comes along?

33 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Put a wanted ad up on the mig welding forum I linked to earlier. There were a few machines on there that would suit your specs recently - not sure if they have sold.

Joined and found the 'wanted' section 👍

I've gone for a Sealey Supermig 140 in the end. it's 30-140amps off a 13A socket. it might struggle with that supply on thicker steel but i'm welding 1-3mm tops on the defender so i think it'll be fine. Work starts in earnest tomorrow with chopping out the outriggers. At least if it all goes pear shaped i can blame you lot for encouraging me!

I've been doing some frantic research and quite like this approach from Britannia. If i can avoid welding in awkward places over the top of the chassis then that'll be a bonus.

A wee update after today's activities. Managed to get the old rockslider off after a lot of persuasion and, in the end, a cutting disc. I'll have to take the rest of it off later as i've left the tube in the rear rock slider but it can wait until later.

Cut off quite a bit of the old outrigger and things were a bit more rusty than i'd hoped. The chassis behind isn't too bad but will need a patch welding on and the triangular bit (not sure what it's called) is holed quite badly so that will need replaced. More cutting to do tomorrow and then i'm hoping to trim the new outrigger to fit the old space. I'll be doing plenty of practice on the old cut off bits to try and get the welder settings correct.

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-06 at 16.01.24(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-06 at 16.01.24.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-06 at 16.01.23(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-06 at 16.01.23.jpeg

When you are setting welder up if it looks like wire is burning back to the tip you will need to increase wire feed if it seems to be pushing gun away you will need to decrease speed slightly get work pieces as clean as possible and a good earth preferably as close to point of welding as is practicable  bacon frying and got somewhere near good luck regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

Did some welding today and was quite pleased with how it turned out. Only burnt through the steel once and it was on a thin/formerly rusty bit so i wasn't too fussed. Removed the rest of the outrigger and started prepping the surface to take another plate before lining up the new outrigger. One problem i can see is the foot of the A pillar is probably beyond repair. I see YRM do some repair sections but how do i get the old one off? Do i cut above the lower hinge captive nuts and weld in the new section? Here's the repair piece:

https://yrmit.co.uk/product/lhs-lower-door-pillar-feet-land-rover-defender-series-23/

It has bee about 20 years since I replaced one of these, but If my memory serves me correctly:

I think that the feet slip inside the bottom of the door pillar, and are spot welded in place.

You would need to locate and drill out the spot welds in order to pull the old foot down out of the pillar.

Glad to hear you are making progress at last.

Edited by MR-HIPPO

14 hours ago, MR-HIPPO said:

I think that the feet slip inside the bottom of the door pillar, and are spot welded in place.

You would need to locate and drill out the spot welds in order to pull the old foot down out of the pillar.

I'll give that a bash and see how i get on. I'll get the new outrigger in place first though in case anything moves and then i won't have any reference points to line everything up.

On 7/7/2019 at 6:53 PM, MR-HIPPO said:

You would need to locate and drill out the spot welds in order to pull the old foot down out of the pillar

good luck with that, I have just "rescued" a foot from a corroded pillar and there are quite a few spot welds to remove, luckily for me I need to replace the pillar anyway 

have you had a good look at the rest of the chassis? that is fairly heavy corrosion and you may be close to being better off replacing the chassis