Which shock absorbers

garymorris

6 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Not saying they are the best but paddock sell the Pro-comp shocks

I can confirm they are not the best. Mine were OK but switching to the Bilsteins was night and day, and the ones on our chase SJ410 kept overheating after a mile or two on rough tracks.

They're not bad for the money though.

There's plenty of "universal" eye-to-eye type shocks out there in a variety of lengths, it's just knowing which rates you might want.

BTW my ProComps were ES9000's, no idea what the SJ had but I suspect the cheaper 3000's.

When I bought my TIC (aka Heystee) parabolics from Chris Perfect, they came with Pro-Comp ES3000s.  They were too soft for a regular vehicle, only useful for an offroading toy or maybe a vehicle that is kept empty.  If you carry any load, then 9000s are a better rate, but are slightly firm unless very heavy. 

However, Pro-Comp quality is poor.  Expect rapid rusting of the main body as the paint is cheap, and if you fit the rubber boots over the piston, expect piston rust within a couple of years that will erode the seals to cause leaks within a few years.  They are supposedly guaranteed for the lifetime of the vehicle, and Perfect did replace those that failed, but he later retired and the subsequent failure had to be paid for - just try getting another trader to honour the warranty of a product sold through another party!  I'll never fit Pro-Comps again.

I fitted Monroe gas shocks. Seem okay, though I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference.

It does lean in corners when I'm pushing it. But they appear to work.

LWB, pick up, heavy roof rack support, 3 leaf paras, mystery brand from Paddocks. 

My procomps didn’t last six months before rusting and seals failed. Craddocks wanted nothing to do with them.

I replaced them with £15 each 109” one ton front dampers and 88” HD rears and have been fine for years.

Edited by oneandtwo