wiring harness

enen

Hi

I bought a wiring harness from a UK firm for my 88" 2A . Harness came ready for a 200tdi. 

Ive had nothing but issues trying to figure it out. When i contacted the company, i was told they dont provide wiring diagrams!

One example of a question. A black wire is supposed to go from the glow plug timer to the indicator on the dash. Their harness has this wire going to a ring connector in another area then to the dash. I had to pull apart the harness to figure this out. Other areas seem to have missing wires. I am on the verge of pulling all the covering off and redoing all the problems

Has anyone else run into such issues?

wiring.jpg

The TDI isn't a standard engine for a series, so the Glow plug arrangement that the retro fitter followed would be unknown to the replacement loom maker.

The series diesel had the glow plug resistor on the bulkhead, it's probable that they followed the original arrangement.

Presuming, of course, that you didn't commission and design a specific adaption to the standard loom.

It looks like an auto sparks loom - and they are usually very good ...

If it is them then when it’s a standard loom I think they are just built to the original specification - when it’s a modified loom, ie for a diesel conversion - then there is a bit of working out how they’ve done it if you didn’t tell them how and where things should be.

9 hours ago, enen said:

Hi

I bought a wiring harness from a UK firm for my 88" 2A . Harness came ready for a 200tdi. 

Ive had nothing but issues trying to figure it out. When i contacted the company, i was told they dont provide wiring diagrams!

One example of a question. A black wire is supposed to go from the glow plug timer to the indicator on the dash. Their harness has this wire going to a ring connector in another area then to the dash. I had to pull apart the harness to figure this out. Other areas seem to have missing wires. I am on the verge of pulling all the covering off and redoing all the problems

Has anyone else run into such issues?

wiring.jpg

the plain black is a earth, it connects to the bulkhead earth point on 90/110/defenders, 

you have the wrong main loom for a Series LR vehicle.

i also found this diagram that shows BY is the earth for timer and fuel shut off.

My fuel shut off is integral to the Bosch VE IP, so no need for that earth.

Seems there are several ways Rover wired these. I suspect the easiest way forward is to put a push button on the dash to energize the glow plugs, wire indicator light parallel with the glow plugs. A generic 70amp relay for $12 and I should be good to go. 

Gives me control. Better for very cold starts

.expeditionlandrover.info/200tdiwiring.htm

This loom had an extra cost option being wired for the 200tdi. They refused, after sale, to provide a diagram.

In hind sight, I would have ordered the standard harness and done my own mods to make the TDI work

I bought my loom from them 10 years before I got to use it 😯, and I couldn’t remember how they’d said they would alter it. I got a similar response to you when I asked what diagrams they had on file:

Sorry no schematic wiring diagram and we do not release our construction drawing.

We do not refer to wiring diagrams as they do not give dimensions, but hold them on file for customers where possible.

I think I had asked them to go with a diesel loom with a wire for the coil, which I planned to use for the stop solenoid. The layout of the starter on the 200 is the same as on the series 1 diesel (which I had presumed their diesel loom was replicating or based upon). 

The glow plug relay I had put to one side from the discovery the 200 came from - and just wired it up from that, using the choke light in the dash.

Tdi glow plug relay colours : heavy brown =Battery live

black = earth

heavy yellow/black = glow plug feed

yellow/black = glow plug warning light

white = ignition live

red/white = starter solenoid circuit

Autosparks build to the colour key for the year of the chassis as I understand it with mods built to the key relevant to year of engine etc.

This should allow connections to be made from the factory wiring diagrams

cheers

Steve b