Jump to content
sgo70

Adventure Georgia GM L83 Swap-110

Recommended Posts

Hi there,

 

New to the forum but been lurking for a while. I bought a 2001 110 300tdi from Georgia Russia and I've been tearing into it quite a bit. I've got a build thread on another forum that I'm sure some have seen but I'm looking for more information on what I'm doing.

 

So far I've gone through the wiring which was a mess and a fire hazard so that pretty much gone, no wires left, gonna start from scratch. When it came down to doing a new wiring harness that was the tipping point for me and I decided to do an engine harness for a V8 instead, so along comes my 2017 L83 ls motor with a 6L80. Got a good deal on it with only 6600 kms. I got my 300 tdi out (155000kms on it) and I'm going to be selling it and a bunch of other stuff once I get it cleaned up and go over it but for now I have a clean slate, no engine/transmission and no electrical. I'm going to move my wiring harness to the drivers side and weld up all the holes in the bulkhead as well I ordered a Restomod heat/AC unit to go in cab with a custom dash. This frees up a bunch of space where I might be able to move a dual battery tray to the engine compartment where the heater box was. That will have to wait until the engine is in.

My interior will be completely redone and eventually the body work on the exterior. All in all it's in rough shape but I've seen worse I guess. I have a complete 2" lift kit from Gwyn Lewis that's going in along with the steering upgrades. I'll be back at it this weekend I hope, lot's to do.

My first problem I've found is the new Gen V L83 exhaust manifold are going to be a problem, even Nick isn't sure what to use there. I really don't want to have to fab them up but we'll see what I can find.

 

Thanks,

Sean

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0298 (1).jpg

IMG_0294 (1).jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting project, definitely a bit different to what we usually see here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it's a whole lot different than I had planned. It's in pretty good shape as far as corrosion goes,  I was just going to clean it up and drive it until I took a closer look and deemed it completely unsafe.

Sean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, the wiring could be deemed completely unsafe from the factory...

That engine should go nicely in a 110, very smooth and torquey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea what that engine is but a cracking project, I will have to go look it up! How did you come about taking a defender from Georgia to Canada?

I would be careful using Georgia and Russia in the same sentence, I once said to a Georgian at an exhibition something along the lines of 'oh, the Russian one not the American one'. I got a dressing down and surprisingly didn't sell anything to them :lol:.  I think the tensions must be ingrained, I certainly didn't say it to any others :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll watch my words lol.

The more I dig the more I find, the top six nuts holding the transmission to the engine were MIA along with the four big bolts holding the firewall to the frame. I think the last guy thought seam sealer was a thick paint and a 5/16" nut will fit a 14mm bolt to hold the prop shafts on. I won't even start on his electrical but I didn't know that painters tape was good to use over a stripped and twisted connection.

Wiring is gone, I've welded the assortment of random holes shut and patch panels in. Since I'm removing the clutch and accelerator pedal I've welded in some solid panels there as well. A little more cleaning underneath and I'll be ready to paint the engine bay and frame, just need to weld in mounts for the engine as soon as they get here.

I've almost reached square one!!! Can't wait to start bolting things back together. I think I need a garage sale, I've seemed to make a lot of extra parts out of this thing lol. Before and after shots:

Sean

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you doing anything with the axles whilst it's in that many bits? They're not known for being the strongest of things. Although I think that's more down to what you want to do with it than what engine you put in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 10:17 AM, daveturnbull said:

Are those bonnet hinges riveted on?

My early ones are solid riveted on!

On 5/27/2019 at 3:33 PM, sgo70 said:

The more I dig the more I find, the top six nuts holding the transmission to the engine were MIA along with the four big bolts holding the firewall to the frame. I think the last guy thought seam sealer was a thick paint and a 5/16" nut will fit a 14mm bolt to hold the prop shafts on. I won't even start on his electrical but I didn't know that painters tape was good to use over a stripped and twisted connection.

The propshaft bit..... You are aware that they are imperial bolts on there? 3/8UNF if I remember correctly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy