It's a gas!

Blanco

Well just giving 'Woodie' a service and check over before getting on the ferry Friday and as soon as I pulled into the shed I heard the exhaust blowing. B*gger!

Looking underneath;

IMG_20190521_092403.jpg.8da01ad10f88d415e54384c1d079e645.jpg

It is clear that the support has rusted through (strange?) and with the weight on the flexi it has been too much for the ageing mesh and spiral.

So quick rush into town but because of its age etc. no-one has any bits for it, .... getting used to that.

Plan B then,....

IMG_20190522_141317.jpg.7026c4a47dfbfdc8fb49f612102873a4.jpg

I have welded a new bar onto the support, and employed the wonderfully titled 'Auspuff-Bandage' and a couple of big hose clamps to reduce the undesired 'Auspuff' at the bottom of the flexi, hoping there is enough flex in the rest of it to get us to the ferry!

We are away for  a week or so, so the rest of Plan B is obviously to get it sorted while we are in the UK.

Any tips for replacements that fall in reasonably easy reach of my transit from Pembroke dock to Littlehampton will  be gratefully recieved. Rest of the service went fine except that I have white smoke from the oil filler, I am hoping that is just a breather issue but I will do a compression check when I get a chance, power level seems fine otherwise.

57 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Any tips for replacements that fall in reasonably easy reach of my transit from Pembroke dock to Littlehampton will  be gratefully recieved

These are the guys that do my exhausts, if google maps is to believed they're not too far out of your way (basingstoke):

http://www.fastfitservicecentre.com/

They will make all or part in stainless, Matt is the guy to speak to, he did a small repair for me recently on the ambulance for a bargain price.

Well it is a standard part, but its a strange case of being made too well in the first place, mine certainly looks like the original. No big aftermarket suppliers seem to produce them for lack of demand and the original spares stock has all but dried up. I didn't want to spend a lot if I could avoid it, but FF's mate in Basingstoke would be closed when I was coming through and the breakers I use near Bath must be on holiday this week. So Keith Gott it is, marginally nearer than Basingstoke for Tuesday morning and a new one is coming down dusted off from sunny Sheffield, a snip at £277+VAT:o

7 hours ago, landroversforever said:

there's a good exhaust chap near Abingdon :) Richs Fabrication Shop.

I will try and remember that ,... I have a cousin there,... but I wasn't planning a visit this time. thanks :) ,... good to have options

And now I'm away the only place to work is the private parking lot of the Retirement flat we have come to clear out and put on the market, they are getting used to my DIY direct approach to things here but I wouldn't risk the wrath of the scheme manager on that one!🤣

Anyway the good news is the Auspuff bandage got us here with gassing us, the delayed boat and the holiday traffic the only delays.

Traffic watching in what to us is an extraordinary amount of it, I saw an Audi A1 for the first time, some garish coloured Range Rovers and most depressing , a 65 plate Defender 110 with a rusty rear x-member. Like everyone else I am waiting to see how the new defender turns out but some things ought to have been sorted long ago.