Squeaky rattle diagnosis?

Hello,

I am new to the forum and a very happy owner of a 1987 90 nicknamed Peggy. Originally a 2.5 TD she now has a 200tdi (disco) conversion. I am hoping your expertise and experience can help me find an irritating squeaky/chirping rattle which seems to be affected by rocking the vehicle from to side!

I first noticed the noise whilst driving, although intermittent it is present in every gear and more prominent when cold or when driving over bumps/potholes. It doesn't seem to have any change of pitch relative to speed or revs either. From the drivers seat it sounds like it's coming from the gearbox area.(LT77)

I have checked the UJ's and exhaust, it's neither of these! Today I started from cold and was able to create the noise whilst stationary by holding a certain rpm just above tick over. The noise could be heard over the engine in the cab and could also be heard under the bonnet, more prominent on the passenger side but hard to distinguish exactly where from over the noise of the engine. Pressing the clutch made no difference either and gearbox and engine mounting rubbers are new.

What confused me though was when I climbed in to the cab the noise stopped for a second then continued. I rocked the whole vehicle from side to side by standing on the side step and strangely when leant to the drivers side it stops and when over to the passenger side it worsens! I don't know where to look next!

Has anyone experienced anything similar or can suggest what the cause may be? 

Thanks in advance and any advice very gratefully received.

Welcome to the forums.

These things can drive you nuts.

There are no end of things on Defenders that can squeak / rattle / vibrate, without hearing the noise it is hard to know where to start.

I take it your new mounting rubbers are still securely bolted into place?

I had a very annoying tinny rattle on my 1989 ex TD vehicle, that also did not seem to be affected by vehicle / engine speed.

On the front of the transfer gearbox, just behind the flange that the front propshaft bolts to, there is a thin circular dust shield, this had come loose on mine and was just rattling around on the output shaft, I only found it because I happened to catch it with my hand while checking the front prop. It was very easy fix, the loose shield simply needed prying back into place.

What you have observed with relation to weight on each side of the vehicle makes me think that the issue could be suspension related, try and wiggle the shocks around, perhaps you have "lost" a bush?

I think you will need to go back under the vehicle and try and poke / move / shake everything that you can get your hands on, also look at all the fasteners and make sure nothing looks like it has been moving around.

It may help if you get someone to assist you and create the noise while you look underneath.

Hope this helps, Hippo.

When hunting down a squeak or rattle I find it best to take everything loose out of the land rover. So remove your boxes and bits and pieces from the back, behind the seats and from the dash. 

If the noise is still there move on from there.

HTH

Mo

3 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

When hunting down a squeak or rattle I find it best to take everything loose out of the land rover. So remove your boxes and bits and pieces from the back, behind the seats and from the dash. 

If the noise is still there move on from there.

HTH

Mo

Indeed, I had my wife looking for a new rattle while I was driving along the other day, It turned out to be some old metal bits vibrating in the tray on my cubby box.

The wife thought it was most amusing

• Like 2

As I mentioned on a question about a squeaking dash, the bonnet hinges are prone to squeaks that are surprisingly loud inside.  They can seem like they're coming from the foot well or transmission area, so give them a little 3-in-1 or heavier oil and see if that sorts it.  Its a simple first step, and they're usually neglected.

Thanks very much for your ideas and advice. I'll hopefully get a moment tomorrow to have a good look, starting by taking everything loose out and oiling the bonnet hinges!  Hopefully it is an easy fix once I find the cause. 

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on.