Southern clubs to join?

tobes

Hi, although i have posted quite a few times before, i have never really introduced myself!

I have had Land rovers for half my life now, got my first Series 1 when i was twelve!! :D

Since then i have had an early 110 and two 300 discoverys.

Fingers crossed (money hasnt changed hands yet) i have just purchased a 300tdi 90 B)

I am trained as a Blacksmith, part of the enjoyment i get from landys is making parts etc for them, i dont have much 'technical' knowledge and i am certainly no mechanic! :(

I have seen that there seem to be quite a few members from the south,

can anyone suggest a few friendly clubs to join? I live just outside Chichester in West Sussex.

I have never really got too involved in the club side (just used to do pay + play etc) but now i would like to get a bit more involved, cant really do too much on my own now that my dad sold his 110 and nobody else is interested in off roading!

Thanks very much,

Toby

I would like to enter winch challenges eventually, or maybe marshal?

I have experience winching etc but not in a 'competetive' way so would need to brush up on my skills (and more importantly my co-drivers! ;) )

I have been on the Shires and HBRO websites, i am going to try to join those.

As for what i am after... I would just like to get out there and use it! Laning (driving and repair days), pay + play, winch events, etc (do i sound greedy?! :lol: )

If this 90 purchase goes ahead, it would be criminal not to use it, it has been built for competition use (3-link, rear locker, caged etc)

Hiya and welcome

I'd say

AWDC - Good for the area, and you can have a selection of trials, and Drive around days, I've been a member for 20+ years, depends on what you wnat to do off road but the AWDC do it all well IMHO. Gopd magazine too.

HBRO - again I've been a member for 10+ Years, they are an ARC Club which can be a huge turn off for many, this in simple terms means LRs only, and IF you wnat to compete in RTV Trials then you LR has to meet the ARC RUles, which are <erm> "Limited" in what your allowed to alter. Whilst good from a level playing field point a view, these rules soon become an annoyance. However HBRO Run Drive Aroubnd days which you can enter, are always looking for marshals, and is a very friendly and easy to get involved with club. The DRDs are ARC Rule exempt as are some competitions - ir the MWWCE 2007.....

The Mike Wolfe winch challenge that I am running on 20th May at Slindon (thats close to you you lucky g*t :lol: ) would be perfect for you to enter if you stick to the easy punches....

Thus even thought a ARC Club (and my 90 is not exactly to ARC Standards :unsure: and I do the club newsletter :blink: - get the picture ?) I still get as iothers do a lot from the HBRO Club. the newsletters fair too :lol: (sometimes) :)

Shires.

Bunch of enthusiastic slighly mad fun loving friendly club - me also a member for 3+ years. Fridge (here) does the mag, and mmany mwembers of the 3 above are on this forum. If you can afford it joint all 3, pop along to events and see / watch, and try to meet some of the forummers here and you'll learn then what you wnat from your 4x4ing.

Marshalling can be a swift way to learn do don'ts and meet many new future like minded idiots friends

PM me your postal address -, I'll ping you a freebie HBRO Mag in the post

HTH

Nige

Well, I've got to say the Shires really as I'm the membership secretary :ph34r: There's lots of club members on here as well as most of the committee if you've got any questions.

HBRO are also a good club although they are still ARC which may not suit all. Nige's Mike Wolfe Challenge that the HBRO run is a very good annual event here in the SE.

AWDC are also a good bet because of they're size although quite expensive.

Another totally unbiased vote for Shires here :lol:

We generally don't do serious competition as we're more family orientated but we do try to do a few fun challenges per year, and at 7S we had a bit of everything all in one, from laning to winch challenge. I won't say "you're welcome to marshal" because that's someone else's department but I'm sure you're welcome to stick your name on the marshal volunteer list.

Our next event is Minstead on the 21st Jan which is a bit of a trek from where you are, but you're welcome to spectate - bring wellies and a camera :lol:

Oh and Nay will kill me if I forget to mention, as seen in most of the national mags this month, we're the first carbon neutral club in the UK/World which means if bobble hats ever complain to you about destroying the planet you have a great comeback :D

Thanks for the replies,

I ll have to start signing up! I would just like to get out there and start doing some events.

HFH - pm sent, slindon is about 3 miles from my workshop!!!

I read in a magazine about the carbon neutral idea, sounds a good idea, i guess i need to do something similar! :lol:

Thanks all

So many choices.

Tobes, I'm another long standing shire member, great club, but given where you live I'd try and hook up with the horsham pose. Not sure if its a formal club but they tend to frequent slindon and shoreham sites which gives you two chances a month to break your truck but at least its close to home :)

Hi Tobes,

Feel I need to add another vote for HBRO (just to make it even you understand) I've just rejoined, and have been welcomed back by the members I knew a few years ago. HBRO was RTV Trial and green lane orientated (probably still is haven,t found out yet but I believe they are running a Wales Laning trip next year). HBRO take their mashalling and recovery seriously and believe in training (great idea). Always found the weekend events with camping brilliant. :D:)

AWDC, lots of competition mainly speed events but lots of trials also. Very good for allowing private design and developement, though this tends to mean that to win you need money or ideas, sometimes both.

I would be interested in hearing about Shires as have no knowledge of them.

What ever club you decide to join you are sure to get a good welcome.

Hope to see you at an event soon.

Marc.

So many choices.

Tobes, I'm another long standing shire member, great club, but given where you live I'd try and hook up with the horsham pose. Not sure if its a formal club but they tend to frequent slindon and shoreham sites which gives you two chances a month to break your truck but at least its close to home :)

Hi Tobes,

There are a lot of the Horsham and District 4x4 Club members who post on this forum, and also do the marshalling at Shoreham and Slindon Pay and Play sites. We tend to go to other events rather than organise our own, although Paul Wightman has organised a few winch challenges... Anyway, If you want some more details, I am not the best person to ask, as I tend to be on the fringes a bit, but PM Paul Wightman (that's his username too.. :) ) and see what he has to say! you could also have a look here ;)

Cheers

Mark

Hi, although i have posted quite a few times before, i have never really introduced myself!

I have had Land rovers for half my life now, got my first Series 1 when i was twelve!! :D

Since then i have had an early 110 and two 300 discoverys.

Fingers crossed (money hasnt changed hands yet) i have just purchased a 300tdi 90 B)

I am trained as a Blacksmith, part of the enjoyment i get from landys is making parts etc for them, i dont have much 'technical' knowledge and i am certainly no mechanic! :(

I have seen that there seem to be quite a few members from the south,

can anyone suggest a few friendly clubs to join? I live just outside Chichester in West Sussex.

I have never really got too involved in the club side (just used to do pay + play etc) but now i would like to get a bit more involved, cant really do too much on my own now that my dad sold his 110 and nobody else is interested in off roading!

Thanks very much,

Toby

Hi Toby,

Would be very pleased to see you at the Horsham 4x4 club meets, Slindon and the Cement works.

There is a link above to our web-site.

Dave C - Nas90

Thanks for the replies,

I ll have to start signing up! I would just like to get out there and start doing some events.

HFH - pm sent, slindon is about 3 miles from my workshop!!!

I read in a magazine about the carbon neutral idea, sounds a good idea, i guess i need to do something similar! :lol:

Thanks all

I was going to say if you live Chi way then you are close to Slindon . But from your words you must be fontwell way. Make alot green with envey with slindon that close :)

I would say Shires is a good club but i my be a bit biased :) But they are more SO postcode more than PO post code (OH OH wait for tonk, and LR90 to shout :) ) (in club joke). But they do alot of event at Bricklyn farm which is near Alton. So not too far from you

It really depends on what you are looking for in a club. If you are looking for a family club to do some green laning or a club where you want to do a bit more extreme stuff, or both

Thanks all for the replies, i dont have regular internet access right know (in between house moves)

All the invites are very kind, as long as i have got the 90 in time, i will be at shoreham and slindon this month!

Reads90.. yep, just outside outside Fontwell, i used to walk from home to watch the pay and play days at slindon when i was "land rover-less"!! :D

I ll post some pictures in the members vehicle forum when i actually have it, i cant wait!

I am sure i ll be asking lots of tech questions too, such as why the arb compressor wont cut out?! thats the only problem i know of so far

Thanks a lot,

Toby