Flywheel from a Thor P38

Simon_CSK

I am currently fitting a replacement V8 into my Range Rover as I have given up on trying to unstick the piston rings. I have started stripping the engine out so am some way away from refitting howver I need to use the existing flywheel and am not sure if it is set up properly. I cannot recover the mounting boss from the removed engine as one of the hex bolts I know is broken.

What I want to know is how do I make sure that the flywheel is fitted to the boss in the right place. There are 4 bolts holding it on but what I am unsure of is if they are equidistant or there is a specific way that the flywheel can only fit one way.

Help appreciated.

I recall the bolt pattern not being symmetrical, so you can only fit the flywheel in one position. But aren't there 6 bolts, or are we talking about something different?

I've also had the hex bolts break, but they weren't hard to drill out and replace.

Good luck!

Filip

The six hex bolts hold a boss in place that carries the flywheel. The flywheel is held to the boss with 4 bolts. While the boss may only be fixed in one position and that certaily is the case because there is a locating peg, I am not sure about the 4 bolts.

Finally managed to track down the solution.

flywheel.thumb.jpg.3731d440af52a565d1e97d1f2c2a8528.jpg

I have marked on the fixing bolts in yellow and the hex bolts in red. The hex bolts (red) hold the boss on to the crank and the flywheel bolts (yellow) hold the flywheel to the boss. To the right of the locating pin (blue) there is a long slot in the timing ring. I haven't removed my V8 yet but I suspect that the four bolts are equidistant meaning the flywheel could potentially be installed four ways if it is removed from the boss. What I needed to know what what position relative to the boss should it be refitted. 

Having looked at a few photos on EBay of this inside (engine side) of the flywheel the relationship with the locating pin (Blue) is always the same so I think I have now answered the question.

Thanks for all the help. 

• Like 1

The long slot will be for the crank position sensor, so whatever the location of that is, relative to the timing specifications will see you right.

I see a 5th hole in your yellow ring of bolts, possibly/probably a locator pin to take the guesswork out of position.

2 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

I see a 5th hole in your yellow ring of bolts, possibly/probably a locator pin to take the guesswork out of position.

It possibly is I will not know until I take my engine out on Friday and then I have been fretting over nothing.

On 6/7/2019 at 2:40 PM, JohnnoK said:

Chances are good you will have been.

I can't see LR being that dumb.

Nope was correct me flywheel was fitted incorrectly.and the pin in question was pushed flush with the boss. It must have been flush when I fitted the flywheel and I didn't notice. When I lifted the engine out and stripped out the flywheel I was careful to not the position of the hole and then located the position of the pin The flywhell was out by about 180 degrees so it was never going to start.

20190608_194344[1].jpg