Can’t find a Series gearbox anywhere...

Keeper96

Hello, 

I’ve had a post in the wanted Section for ages and had no luck, plus tried loads of various internet searches but no luck! 

Im looking for a second hand lt76 for a series 3, I know you can buy recon boxes but I can’t stretch to the £7-800 necessary.

if anyone knows of any possible sources in the north east or Cumbria then that would be great! 

Cheers,

Jamie 

They're almost universally knackered at this stage in life, so some saving up may be the best option. 

That being said, a pallet is only £60 nationwide, so location need not be a major issue if you do find a promising one. 

To be honest even a knackered one would probably be better than mine, both shafts are totally ruined along with the majority of the gears so not really a candidate for repair whereas most second hand boxes will probably just require bearings and maybe 1-2 other bits and pieces (hopefully) 😂😂

7 hours ago, Keeper96 said:

To be honest even a knackered one would probably be better than mine, both shafts are totally ruined along with the majority of the gears so not really a candidate for repair whereas most second hand boxes will probably just require bearings and maybe 1-2 other bits and pieces (hopefully) 😂😂

If it was me, and the bearing seats in the casing were okay, I'd rebuild with new innards. Completely. 

• Like 1

Cheers guys, the beating seats look pretty good, I can vaguely remember seeing a company selling fully built main shafts with everything assembled on it already a while ago but can’t for the life of me find it again, can anyone point me in the right direction? 

On 5/31/2019 at 11:34 AM, Gazzar said:

If it was me, and the bearing seats in the casing were okay, I'd rebuild with new innards. Completely. 

So would (did) I.  My Gen Parts rebuilt box had the 2nd gear thrust washer insterted the wrong way around, so the oil grooves faces away from the gear.  That resulted in the gear and washer welding themselves together and then separating, blueing and cracking the gear in the process, and wrecking the main shaft.  If a job needs doing right, do it yourself...

Syncro Boxes (spelt incorrectly) do parts for Series transmissions, and Shabs has a good reputation.  I have great respect for Dunsfold Land Rover, who will guide you through what you need and sell you decent stuff at sensible prices.  Buy only decent quality bearings, ideally Timken, SKF or NSK, and genuine gears, shafts and synchros.  At a push, Bearmach seem OK.  The usual caveat over Britpart and unmarked parts apply, and that is what most mailorder companies will sell.  Brace yourself for an order of several hundred pounds if you need all bearings, seals and both shafts - the parts cost alone will show you why reconditioned units generally have such a bad reputation - most are made up of second hand parts that belong in the scrap bin.

On 5/30/2019 at 4:31 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Might help your cause if you say "series box" in the title as not everyone knows them as LT76's.

Agree completely! I actually thought he’d made a typo and wanted an LT77. Almost nobody calls them an LT76 and most people will have no clue what you’re asking for. Ask for a series 3 gearbox and you’ll be on to a winner. They are **** though, they break way too easily. I gave up with them years ago - how about just going for an upgrade?

If you're still searching, I know someone who was selling one complete with the T/box. It is/was in Stoke on Trent though. I could make an enquiry to see if it is still for sale if you wanted me to?

I have no idea of the condition, and I doubt whether the seller will either. She "inherited" it from her father, who has been taken into care due to health issues.

let me know if you would like me to make an enquiry for you.

Regards, Mark.

22 hours ago, markyboy said:

If you're still searching, I know someone who was selling one complete with the T/box. It is/was in Stoke on Trent though. I could make an enquiry to see if it is still for sale if you wanted me to?

I have no idea of the condition, and I doubt whether the seller will either. She "inherited" it from her father, who has been taken into care due to health issues.

let me know if you would like me to make an enquiry for you.

Regards, Mark.

Thanks for the offer mark but I’ve started buying the parts needed to rebuild mine. 

Cheers