ground anchor

Marc.be

I havnt made a spade type anchor yet, but made myself a pins and plate one. Cost next to nothing and very simple. It does take more effort to set up and pull pins out, but I have seen the spade ones act as a plough where mine stayed solid!

Probably gonna make a spade type one for harder ground and for easier deployment!

Does anyone know if 15° is about the right angle as shown in the previous drawing?!

hi,

just tried my anchor with a 15° angle and it works if someone stands on the anchor.

do you always need to do that or is it possible to use such an anchor when you are alone?

The normal method is to try and 'set' the anchor first by kicking it into the ground and try to get it started before the tension comes on the line.

I used my Pul-Pal whilst doing a single truck recovery a few weeks back down in the Liwa Desert..... not a single tree for fifty miles!

They are great in sand...infact they could be a little too good. I had to really dig down to retrieve mine after doing a couple of long up-hill pulls to get out of a sand bowl! After an hour and a half the second part of the team came through and I was able to hitch up to the back of the MAN6x6 for a more robust anchor.

I'm sure some of the other guys can pass on experiances with the mud and dirty stuff.........

Regards.

S.

hi,

just tried my anchor with a 15° angle and it works if someone stands on the anchor.

do you always need to do that or is it possible to use such an anchor when you are alone?

I reckon you need to decrease the angle slightly. The reason I say this is I have one of Nigel's KittyGripper anchors which is more or less a Pull-Pal. It worked well when new but has since been "Milemarkered" a few times and the pin holes which retain the blade are, erm, not all that round any more :unsure: this means the angle of blade has increased a bit and I now have to stand on the back of mine to get it to set most of the time, when I never needed to before. So I figure a shallower angle should get you back to where mine used to be :)

I have a wireless remote for my winch so it isn't a problem, push the anchor in by hand, stand on the back and winch in till the blade is mostly below ground, then go back and drive if required.