Distortion is a bitch. 

My chassis was like a country lane before I straightened it. Jack, high lift, ratchet straps and mapp torch sorted it.

For yours, I'm not sure how to proceed, without damaging the powder.

Subtle jacking against an I beam, low heat and using freeze spray on the outer of the bend? 

Best in mind where the finish can't be seen, is fair game for a jack/tighten point.

20 hours ago, Anderzander said:

It does look fabulous ! Make sure the bend doesn’t stop you enjoying all that great work. 

My thoughts exactly. I can see you're a perfectionist but ..... :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

• Like 1

Oh what disappointment 😕
Looking at it now I'd say it was the 20mm box along the top of the beam. All one sided heat application.

I think I'd be inclined to shim the boxes as you suggest, and live with it. It won't affect function, and will save a whole load of time, and probably money. Attempts to straighten it will almost certainly mess up the powder coat.

Top job though 👍

2 hours ago, mickeyw said:

I think I'd be inclined to shim the boxes as you suggest, and live with it. It won't affect function, and will save a whole load of time, and probably money. Attempts to straighten it will almost certainly mess up the powder coat.

^ this this and this!

4 hours ago, mickeyw said:

Oh what disappointment 😕
Looking at it now I'd say it was the 20mm box along the top of the beam. All one sided heat application.

Top job though 👍

It bugs me most because I thought about heat input and distortion with every single other weld on the trolley.... then went and totally forgot about it with this bit!

If I can find something suitably heavy to put it under with the jack I think I can take some of the bend out  without damaging the coating. With the trolley upside down, resting on the two upstands with a bit of wood on each I should be ok. With the jack in the middle on a chunk of wood and a bit of box to spread the load to the main rails.

Work is a bit mental at the moment so I've not got much/any time at the workshop to sort it. So I can getting closer to just shimming it.

I know the feeling..... to put all the planing thought and attention to detail into it, if you shim it everytime you have a contemplative moment you will look at it and it will grate lol common sense says shim it but OCD says FIX IT!  

Oh and I really like the idea, and execution, given the gauge of the box section i'm surprised at the distortion.... I'm currently working on designs for a new tool cabinet display and your trolly would mean I could use cheaper cabinets and have a strong frame to support everything.... time to do some research on tool boxes lol 

Edited by De Ranged
I'm retarded emotionally and the sun was shinning
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a go at straightening them, but it wasn’t particularly successful annoyingly.

F097CAB8-DD6A-4516-B75D-6E61070A0455.thumb.jpeg.7c91c438611ec3c7229c5bbd8078a495.jpeg

Can’t now remember what the strap was rated at but I managed to bend the trolley back about the same as it’s bend, but obviously the opposite way. However it was a bit twitchy-bum having that strap so tight. I’ll see if I can get the video attached.

I took the tension off and checked it and it was back where it started. Balls.

So after being stupidly busy with work, and holiday and then busy again with work I was loosing weeks in a flash... so I took the decision to just leave it as it and shim the boxes. It was a hard decision so I shimmed the boxes and got them on. Then left it for a couple of visits to make sure I was happy. I calculated 4mm as being about right from the angle and it seemed good with the boxes on.

C6EE9842-F179-4C20-9FE2-B89143F2B34E.thumb.jpeg.56f53c0d9dc3cf6bfcba26006e95235f.jpeg

Run out of attachment.... pictures coming soon!

Then finally tonight I added the side cabinets. Due to the bend in the main rails these needed a bit of shimming, only about 1mm or so.

7F2120E9-B3CC-4561-8242-F31A325ED691.thumb.jpeg.162e16c11f6d0e17985d2f6d5aa43734.jpeg

I’ve then started filling it back up... all whilst wondering how the hell it all fitted into just the two bottom boxes!

I’ll do a toolbox tour if people want to see it :).

Also remembered while that was uploading that I need to sort the shelves for the cupboards and then also decide on the doors/hinges etc. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, steve b said:

Surely the shims are in keeping with Land Rover rebuilds anyway :D 

Nice work and I'm sure it will make tool storage and access much better

cheers

Steve b

It's making me wonder how the hell everything fitted into the two bottom chests I had before! Will be nice to how have some of the draws two layers deep.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:27 AM, miketomcat said:

*Cough* girl friend.....

Mike

I know its said in jest @miketomcat but I will actually jump to her defense here and say that shes the one nagging me most about getting the next stage of the 90 done! I'm waiting on some machining for it and its her that's nagged me most about getting it done :).

I've not actually tried moving it yet since filling it with tools (still on going) but with all the boxes on it still rolls as easily as it did empty. The biggest issue is the lumpy concrete floor. However, its unlikely to be moved around much in the workshop.