NRC6096 master cylinder plumbing question

boXXer

Hi guys, I THINK i have the NRC6096 M/C fitted to my Capri track car by a previous owner, and I’m not too sure it’s been fitted properly. 

Does anyone know, for sure, which way around the brake circuits connect to the unions? From what I’ve read the M/C has a single size bore, but I noticed the rear (servo side) is m10 and the front (furthest away from servo) is m12. 

I am so confused it’s untrue, every thread I’ve read talks about different cylinders and how rears are plumbed to front of M/C and vice versa. 

I have 4 pot AP’s on the front and 2 pot discs on the rear. 

This is the one I have:

https://www.lrdirect.com/NRC6096-MASTER-CYLINDER/

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by boXXer

Despite the difference in size of the unions, the brake pipes are the same size. It is also true that the Master cylinder has a single bore size.

On a SWB Land Rover Series 3 with dual circuit brakes, both pipes go into the PDWA (Pressure Differential Warning Actuator) valve, and from there they go to front and rear axles.

If you have a look at the page below, it suggests that the rearmost brake line (nearest the servo) does indeed supply the front brakes after passing through the PDWA, whilst the foremost line supplies the rear. This would make sense based on my knowledge of the master cylinder (I've just refurbed mine), as the rearmost portion of the master cylinder operates momentarily earlier than the foremost part.

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/series3/5_suspension_steering_brakes.pdf

HTH, Mark.

Edited by markyboy

Land Rover dual line master cylinders use the port nearest the input rod for the front brakes and the port nearest the enclosed end for the rear lines.  In factory fit applications, this means the brake lines cross over on their way to the axles.  I suppose it could be possible to fit the master cylinder facing the other direction on a modified single-circuit pedal box (though I can't imagine why anyone would want to) or on other vehicles.  Both operate at the same pressure, but the volumes differ.

I used the 110 master cylinder on my Capri when I upgraded the brakes. You have to use the Capri Sport adapter to plumb in the two front circuits and the rear brake pipe goes to the rear port of the M/c. It will only fit a Pinto servo and not the V6 2.8i one.

To be honest, I had heard many good things about this conversion along with the bigger fronts with four pots and rear disc conversion but I never got a half decent pedal out of it when I did it and everything was top quality and brand new. I have a whole setup sat here in the garage as I ended up taking it off and going back to tried and tested Princess four pots and standard 2.8i discs with rear drums. Best brakes I’ve had so far on the car.