easiest option disco 200 tdi or 300 tdi

hi all

firstly thanks for any help put forward its really appreciated , i have a 94 defender 200 tdi original ( 11l ) and unfortunately the rear cam bearing has slipped back leaving low oil pressure ( gutted ) , i realise its a big job but  i am going to do the work myself which i know will take a while for me to do as i work full time and only have my garden to do the work in , my defender is my everyday work and social vehicle so i am wanting to get the engine out quickly and was hoping i might be able to drop another one in ie : disco 200tdi or a 300 tdi which i have seen some reasonably priced ones about  , so my question is apart from another (11l) which are really expensive compared , what would anyone think might be the easiest engine to drop in ie : least amount of work converting things while i repair mine  , once again thanks  

Get a Disco 200tdi & use that block & internals, drop your existing cylinder head & manifolds, engine mounts,timing case on to it that way you don't have any problems changing exhaust/turbo.

or strip existing engine & have the cam bearings replaced.

• Like 1

I did exactly as western suggested, changing the timing chest and ancillaries over to turn the disco (12L) into a defender  (11L). 

Not the hardest thing to do but time consuming. Just remember to crack the crank pulley bolt before stripping the engine out...then you’ll only have to swear at removing the one from the donor engine

thanks again lads , im new to this but hopefully will improve the more i use it which i think i will be with the work i have to do , ive been rummaging through the site and its great , im trying to find info on what i will have to change to the donor engine is it everything , thanks

I've got a Disco 200tdi onto a standard lt77 that was bolted to my old 19j. All I did was buy an adaptor exhaust manifold off Ebay. Then my mechanic extended my pipework to fit onto the rad and intercooler from the Disco. The exhaust itself is a 200tdi straight pipe. The only other thing I had to do was to mount a custom bracket onto the right hand side of the engine for the airfilter box, extend the air intake pipe and fit an electric fan.

20190523_152849.jpg

• Like 1