Series one bulkhead

Thanks :) It is the 88” series one two wheel drive. (I have the bits in the shed)

Below the screen is all original. It’s not epic, but it is still there. I drilled it for oil/wax oil  holes.

This is my first car :D I got it for my sixteenth birthday back in the mid 80’s.

Engine has proper low down torque. Currently has radial tyres and parabolic springs. That has upped the off road and on-road manners. Still drives like a tractor though!

It’s origin front panel is also getting some heavy therapy. Nearly fixed it without filler, but it needed a smear. (A bit of weld wrinkle) It has the 1950 one on there at the moment that is aluminium. That will need a good home when this one goes back on. It’s very much the same part, but it is the one where the grill goes around the headlamps.

09B76874-2DD7-40CF-9106-1437FBB1454A.jpeg

6F3EDDAC-5D8A-406B-BAC3-FF3C84EC1494.jpeg

I think so :)  Enough that I built a mesh cage inside it so it could be locked. It arrived brown and that kind of suits it as long as it is a lighter one. 

It’s winding me up this evening because the hinge bolt jammed in that thin metal captive nut plate :o Had to go find a spare door, drill the bolt heads, remove captive nut thing, get red hot, release threads and that’s a lot of faffing around just for one sized bolt !

Should be good when it’s done. I didn’t think removing a patch plate for the old wing mirror would lead to bulkhead welding and door work. Honestly, it’s as time hungry as my race Landy :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think so :)  Enough that I built a mesh cage inside it so it could be locked. It arrived brown and that kind of suits it as long as it is a lighter one. 

It’s winding me up this evening because the hinge bolt jammed in that thin metal captive nut plate :o Had to go find a spare door, drill the bolt heads, remove captive nut thing, get red hot, release threads and that’s a lot of faffing around just for one sized bolt !

Should be good when it’s done. I didn’t think removing a patch plate for the old wing mirror would lead to bulkhead welding and door work. Honestly, it’s as time hungry as my race Landy :D

15th July 2019

My big choice was a bowed front wing, or fix that and create a dimpled wing. I decided to slap it around a bit and shrink the big flat bit with fire so it it looked good from a distance and then a skim of filler so it looked okay up close. The picture is pre-filler.

Half mm dink’s is about as good as I can get them. It needs to be bolted on for the final large adjustments via brute force. You can’t pull the wheel arch edge on the floor, it just flops about.

92897BA9-B954-45E2-918E-388F0F0D7510.jpeg

8CFD1B6B-1CA5-49E6-B98E-EB333513B295.jpeg

• Like 1

Fabrication and gas heat done for this stage of work. The ‘old steel front’  is bolted back in and everything aligned.

-taking it to a car show next weekend :D

Then the fitting or the LH outer mud guard (inner top looks to have had a tractor exhaust cut in it) once I have panel beaten it back into shape.

And then the biggy, the rear tub fixes :o Might leave that for the winter?