Blanco

P38 Diesel Separator/Breather

So,... I am back from the UK, new downpipe & cat is fitted, Gott's charged me a bit less in the end which was a pleasant surprise.

Now i want to investigate the white 'smoke' from insideĀ  the rocker cover, first call is check and clean the crankcase breather, but with the help of the parts lad in Gott's I established that my late model doesn't have the expected external breather/cyclone fitting under the top cover???? so does it have an internal filter like some of the 2 litre and 3 litre??? The parts book nor the Gott parts computer software was any help,... anyone been there and done it please??

As far as I know the later version of the BMW doesn't use a separator, but only a breather hose. No filters or such. Not a bad decision, as the separators are know to clog and usually leak where they connect to the airpipe. Only downside would be if the engine has too much pressure in the crank case, as it allows more oil into the intake so a higher risk of the engine running on oil and out of control.

Thanks, it seems I'll be opening up for a look see, ..... I'll post a pic here when I do.