110 a bit skittish with a moderate load in the back

Of late, I have felt that the 110 has been ‘wandery’ when it has a moderate load in the back. The rear is full of logs this evening and its a bit light/wandery on the road.

Bushes all seem good, steering column UJs are nearly new (genuine). 

What else would you check next? Would the a frame ball joint cause this? I have never changed it so its probably never been done. 

It could give a rear wheel steering feel, definitely worth changing the A frame joint if it never been changed, you can get the ball joint on its own which then has to be pressed into the carrier part or prefitted in the carrier which is a easier change & use new bolts/nuts. 

Worn trailing arm bushes can give an unhealthy rear-steer effect too. Wear in the chassis bush is easy to see, and I note you say the bushes all look good, but wear at the axle end bushes isn't so visible. Get a big lever or screwdriver between the axle and arm and give it a good waggle.

For general wanderiness when loaded,  I'd check tyre pressures are high enough.

• Like 1

I gave the trailing arm bushes a good wiggle with a crow bar last weekend and there wasnt much movement - this is where i was expecting to find a problem. I think they were new genuine bushes about five years ago so arent that old (the originals did about 20 years). I will check them again though.

I will get a ball joint and do that too.

Unloaded it is as steady as ever. I want to get this sorted before we put the roof tent on for the summer and start camping etc.

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Did you also replace the steering damper Richard? Before I replaced mine, it started to drive like pushing a dodgy supermarket trolley. 

Yep - that was done when i overhauled the entire suspension a few years back.

Looking back at my records, I dont think i changed the A frame bushes back then but will do so when i change the ball joint.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. Ball joint had loads of play in it that was only really obvious once removed. The bushes on the A frame, although potentially 30 years old were really ok, but I changed them anyway. Amazing how easy this all was with a ramp and the right tools. All done in about an hour and the car is driving more normally now! D3 front lower arms to do next....

• Like 4