Front Calipers

1987 110 defender, its an ongoing rebuild, I bought it as rolling chassis, it had these discs  on in photo, and the calipers were in a box of parts that came with it.

Anyway rebuilt front axle with all new seals bearings ect. put same discs back on, the calipers seemed to fit at first but when both bolts are fully tightened up they are hitting hubs both sides, drivers is not to bad but passenger is just locking up.

Cant work it out, as Im sure that both discs and calipers are both vented, there is no numbers on calipers to tell excactly what part they are.

Anyone ant Ideas ?? this has really got me stumped.

IMG_20190605_180659.jpg

IMG_20190605_181325.jpg

IMG_20190603_170406.jpg

When I rebuilt my axle, I had a spare pair of vented discs attached to hubs that were thinner than the hubs fitted my early (1989) axle.

I had to swap the vented discs to my hubs to use them, it was lucky that I spotted this when I did as I nearly rebuilt the wrong hubs.

IIRC later hubs (200tdi ish I think) are shorter (bearings closer together) than the early ones.

I suspect that you have a mismatch of swivel housings / stub axles / hubs.

I am sure that someone more knowledgeable than myself will be along shortly to clarify / correctly answer this.

Edited by MR-HIPPO

Do you know what the calipers/disc came off & the part numbers was it a later defender. ?

my '89 110 has vented disc/calipers which Ifitted years ago, they don't touch the hubs, 

mine are STC1266 & STC1267 Calipers & FTC902 disc. 

wondering if your calipers are genuine or orignal calipers with a aftermarket spacer fitted.

Yes.  This has been discussed before.  Vented calipers on early hubs can hit each other.  some people say they don't have the issue.  Nobody seems to have figured out why.

Western, can you look at yours and see how much clearance exists?  Maybe take a picture.

36 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Yes.  This has been discussed before.  Vented calipers on early hubs can hit each other.  some people say they don't have the issue.  Nobody seems to have figured out why.

Western, can you look at yours and see how much clearance exists?  Maybe take a picture.

I can IF its stops raining, as the front wheel has to come off.

Thanks Previous Owner can only remember that he got them from Britpart, they told him that they were model correct whatever that means,  cant remember part numbers and the calipers have no numbers stamped on them anywhere.

I was thinking that Id made a mistake somewhere when rebuilding axle but really cant think where.

Took some measuments tonight,  distance from disc wall to hub is exactly the same all round both sides, diatance of middle is same also both sides.

I have measured calipers for width, if they were a touch narrower they would fit, so now thinking I have wrong ones,/  well hoping its something as simple as that

Don't suppose anyone has a spare caliper handy to measure width

IMG_20190607_192726.jpg

IMG_20190607_192802.jpg

IMG_20190607_193023.jpg

IMG_20190607_193105.jpg

Edited by kevin50
forgot to add

34 minutes ago, western said:

If weather is OK tomorrow I'll pop my drivers front wheel off & sort some photos & measurements 

Thanks Mate,  Cant think what else it could be apart from Caliper.

One thing is I think the original would have been Solid discs but the PO was going to convert to Vented, so maybe got wrong part numbers.

20 minutes ago, kevin50 said:

Thanks Mate,  Cant think what else it could be apart from Caliper.

One thing is I think the original would have been Solid discs but the PO was going to convert to Vented, so maybe got wrong part numbers.

Yes.  They were never "meant" to have vented discs.  Adding it is something people do, but it was never designed to work with them on purpose.

Sorry I can only add speculation at this point, or rather more confusion. But I did somewhat bolt up a early 110 front stub (wide bearing ) and matching hub with my 98 300Tdi 110 Vented rotor to the car itself ( 98 110) and it all seemed to line up and not foul. If I get time over the next week ill look into it further. All parts I have are genuine (except rotors)

Serg

4 hours ago, western said:

Managed towhip the right front wheel off & took these photo's, my calipers are Lockheed items.

Hubs are the original as built wide spaced bearing items

IMG_20190608_101739.jpg

IMG_20190608_101805.jpg

IMG_20190608_101822.jpg

IMG_20190608_101922.jpg

IMG_20190608_101950.jpg

IMG_20190608_102019.jpg

IMG_20190608_102026.jpg

Thank You Very Much for that Mate, really appreciate you going out in the rain to do that.  By looking at the gap in yours mine are only out by a couple of mil or so, but its still enough to stop them turning.

Theirs no numbers on my calipers at all so not sure what part they are. they do look digferent to yours from the side, will take more pics of mine later. as for my hub Im sure its the original too, will try and get part numbers for which bearings I used, was not really aware that bearings were different either.

Trying to work out the width of your caliper from your tape measure, will do same measurment  as yours when I go up.  

Thanks Again  will post later

• Like 1

Back to the original photos of the calipers. Whereabouts are the bleed nipples on said calipers?

Mine is a 1984 One_Ten. Originally fitted with solid discs. I managed to find a set of the spacers which go between the two halves of the caliper, fitted them and then fitted vented discs.

During the intervening years I have changed hubs, stub axles and fitted a 300 Tdi front axle case. As it is now, it has the earlier BIG CV joints and early hubs/stubs etc. 

Point is, I don't think your calipers are 110 calipers.

43 minutes ago, neil110 said:

Back to the original photos of the calipers. Whereabouts are the bleed nipples on said calipers?

Mine is a 1984 One_Ten. Originally fitted with solid discs. I managed to find a set of the spacers which go between the two halves of the caliper, fitted them and then fitted vented discs.

During the intervening years I have changed hubs, stub axles and fitted a 300 Tdi front axle case. As it is now, it has the earlier BIG CV joints and early hubs/stubs etc. 

Point is, I don't think your calipers are 110 calipers.

Nor di I mate,  found these pics from other day, you can see where bleed niples are.  do they  give you any idea of what they are ??

IMG_20190531_190025.jpg

IMG_20190531_185953.jpg

3 hours ago, western said:

one brake[line]  pipe to each caliper, wheras a Discovery for example has 2 pipes to each caliper.

So now Im back to thinking its probably the right caliper,😆The drivers side is only catching on one corner, the rest are free , its the passenger side that's worse,

Had a wire brush on grinder on the corners where it is catching and its moving easier, that's how close it is, so will do a bit more  tomorrow till its clear.  Maybe its just a bad set of calipers cheap stuff.,   will post back tomorrow with results.

Thanks Everyone for help, 

• Like 1

Don't want to state the "bleedin" obvious...but that pic with the ratchet attached shows you have the caliper fitted upside down as I can just see the nipple cover at the bottom of the pic. The change in orientation may give you the very minimal clearance that there appears to be on Westerns pics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scotts90 said:

Don't want to state the "bleedin" obvious...but that pic with the ratchet attached shows you have the caliper fitted upside down as I can just see the nipple cover at the bottom of the pic. The change in orientation may give you the very minimal clearance that there appears to be on Westerns pics.

I know Mate, that was one of my first pics then realised turned them around and they were exactly the same.