New wiring looms from Autosparks in 200TDI 110

Hi all,

I could do with some help installing some Autosparks wiring looms into my 1991 110 please....

I'm in South Africa with some competent auto electricians who know a little about Land Rovers, but mainly 300TDI’s and later models.

My wiring has had quite a few shorts and issues, it’s done 200,000km on bumpy African tracks and I’ve decided to replace all of the looms. It used to be a n/a, swapped to a 200TDI about 18 years ago and it had a 2nd loom installed then, of unknown age, but a 200TDI. So I’m starting from scratch with 4 new looms from Autosparks. As they need to see your loom for all 200TDI models apart from the one listed below, I was forced to order it. Assume it’s matched to a 1994 200TDI, though no sure why it says 1996?

PART NO:LR416FINISH:PVC Cables with a Taped Outer Covering

Chassis NO:922209 - 962814 (1996 Model Year)

Defender 90/110 Main Harness. 200Tdi : AMR2348

1. The first task is to replace the rear chassis loom. I’ve looked at what’s connected ( no rear window, so no wiper, water squirt, heat etc) and it all matches up apart from the attached picture taken with both NEW looms. To match what is connected this two pin plug should connect, but as you can see two of the wires are different, Slate/Red on the left and White/??? on the right. Any idea if they are compatible but just differently coloured or completely different functions etc please?

2. Any idea what fuse box sticker I should be using for this loom please? Picture and part number would be awesome.

IMG_9946.thumb.jpeg.c91f4ffa40645daf9a0c1232bef7bae8.jpeg

White/blue-mauve-light purple comes out the fuel tank wires, so is for connecting the front to the fuel tank it seems, however I can’t find anywhere on the main loom that it connects to? Any ideas please?

The fuel tank connectors at the back seem different, I have this black round plug box, yet the wires have individual plugs on them. Assume I need to replace the black  round plug box by cutting the wires going in and then join the new ones to the old ones somehow.

1654A99F-D67B-411D-8FC8-80AD72D70EF0.jpeg

19B82831-A737-42A4-86B3-84AFFE657E4B.jpeg

Slated/Red comes out at the 3 relays under the fuse box as one wire in one of the relay holders.

There are also two wires coloured like this running in the main loom to the dashboard, they come out by the main dashboard indicator panel plastic plug ins as individual wires covered in clear plastic.

B71D4D17-9C80-43F9-9200-9CE0D7451C67.jpeg

Well the only electronics in a 200Tdi fuel tank are for the level sender, which only uses 3 wires, as can be seen in your picture of the round plug. Your new loom seems to have 5 wires at this point, I don't know what for but obviously you don't need them so just tape the up out of the way. Unless your existing loom has a joint further up for the 3 individual connections to the round plug then it looks like you might have to cut and join the wires, or at least make up a piece to join into the individual connectors to avoid cutting your shiny new loom.

The slate/red we have just done in my other thread here with a good explanation by Mr Hippo.

• Thanks 1

When I re-loomed mine last summer: I bought a 300TDI 110 chassis loom from Autosparks, this also had an extra 2 wires going down to the fuel tank, a spare Black (earth), and the white/purple-ish wire.

So as daveturnbull sugests, it seems that the Autosparks chassis looms do indeed account for both diesel and petrol varients.

On mine, the spare earth, and White/Purple-ish are unused and just cabletied neatly out of the way on my truck. perhaps one day they will come in handy for something else.

Edited by MR-HIPPO

Just checked the front end wiring on mine.

The White/purple-ish wire on my Autosparks chassis loom also has no corresponding wire on the main (Genuine TDI) vehicle harness.

These wires are simply not used on TDI engined vehicles it seems.

Edited by MR-HIPPO
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, daveturnbull said:

The slate/red we have just done in my other thread here with a good explanation by Mr Hippo.

Thanks!

am I correct in reading that for the Slate/Red wires and relay I should just leave them unconnected and the relay holder empty?

26 minutes ago, roamingyak said:

Thanks!

am I correct in reading that for the Slate/Red wires and relay I should just leave them unconnected and the relay holder empty?

The factory 200TDI I have here will run with or without the relay.

The relay just seems to test the operation of the Brake and transmission temp lights on the warning panel when the engine is cranked.

I think if it were me, I woud put a relay in the holder, If nothing else, It is as good a way as any to carry a spare relay.

Edited by MR-HIPPO

Thanks again. Making progress :)

next question though!

On the rear wiring loom where it goes down from the engine bay and starts to run along the chassis (or in it as it used to do) is a Black/Blue wire that sticks out of the taped loom and has a female plug on it. It’s not being used in my current loom, just taped up unused, but then I don’t have a full set of dash lights connected. It’s not in any diagrams or colour charts. Any ideas please?

Black / Blue is the wire for the dff lock warning light.

It goes to a switch on the top of the transfer box.

The switch is on top of the output housing behind the front propshaft flange, hidden behind the front face of the seatbox, close to the side of the main gearbox, &  under the hi-lo gear linkage.

The other terminal on the switch is an earth, and terminates back to the transfer box case.

EDIT: After re-reading that explaination, perhaps a picture will help. (looking down and forwards through the seatbox center cover)

The switch is hidden under the linkage above the arrow in this pic. (you can just see the earth wire coming from under the linkage, and attached to the top left bolt on the housing to the right.)

diffLockSwitch.jpg.d24ab138b66845733f094a5df3923e72.jpg

As you can see, it is quite akward to get the wires on and off as access is very tight on LT77 gearbox versions.

The two wires on the left are for the reversing light switch.

Hope this helps, Hippo.

Edited by MR-HIPPO
Added more text, and image for clarification.

Oh, ok, we had been thinking it was the hand brake without having looked at it yet.

I have a stubby R380, will the access be any easier? Can you do it just from underneath or will I need to take the metal gearbox plate off etc?

Update: when you say Difflock warning light, what do you mean please? This is different from the ‘Difflock is Engaged’ light? There are two?

Edited by roamingyak

Yes it is the "Difflock is engaged" light. there is only one.

Stubby R380 mounts the same as the LT77 so access will still be very akward.

You will need to lift the center top panel off of the seat box, between the two front seats.

On mine the switch is not visable (due to the Hi-LO linkage above), you have to connect the wires by feel.

Handbrake warning light wire would be White/Yellow.

Hippo.

1 hour ago, roamingyak said:

Ok, thanks. I highly appreciate your answers 

Given I have the Wright Off-road matting on there it means all 3 seats out, bit of a drama etc.

Maybe just cut the existing wire and solder to the new would work.....?

No reason you can't cut the existing wire and put a male spade on the end, that way it will plug into the new loom without any butchering.

Solder and crimp will work well....

I have just finished rewiring the Hybrid and use only point to point cabl - so no connectors, soldering, nothing - but I'm a freak..

Bon Courage !

Ok, rear loom in and working well starter serviced, new alternator being fitted, making good progress...

Looking at the new loom (1994-1996) it has this relay part and big thick wires in the engine bay that I don’t currently have, can anybody explain its purpose please ( we are guessing by tracing the wires, and as the loom is heavily taped up it’s hard to see what goes where etc)

2770E800-AB05-404A-97E3-9CECD50D52C2.jpeg

Awesome thanks! My old wiring has obviously been changed and that relay stuck behind the dash I think.

The only other engine bay wires we are stuck on are Purple/Blue. Two on the passenger side, one on the drivers on the wires going to the headlights. Side indicators or hazard indicator? Can’t see anything else for the side indicators....?

3 minutes ago, daveturnbull said:

Those are for the door switches for the interior light. They feed into the bulkhead pillars to connect to the switch which is located in the door shut. 

Ok, great, I don’t need them, more wires to seal off and not worry about :)

How do the side indicators connect then?