New wiring looms from Autosparks in 200TDI 110

Awesome, thought that must be the case. Will strip out the dash and headlights on Tuesday so it will become easier to see it all.

We assume this plug near the horn on the front passenger side is for an alarm? It traces back to one of the fuse box relays... Brown/Green and Brown wires.

B6D11ACE-EF5B-4C9D-8567-61CDE46E74F6.thumb.jpeg.d69be2dbcc53327bb0079f5104b2759c.jpeg

Ok, the complete dash is out and we are comparing the existing with the new dash loom.

Voltage sensitive prc4427 switch is for heated windscreen or rear window demister, so assume I don’t need any more?

We seem to be lacking 1 or 2 relays. Is there a good description of each with relevant wire colours anywhere please? This is what we have by the fuse box.

image.jpg

From left to right: (I think)

1: Intermittent wiper relay.

2: ---

3: Headlamp relay

4: Starter relay

5: Flasher relay

What colour wires do you have going into number 2? (I can't really tell from that image)

Edited by MR-HIPPO
  • Thanks 1

Keep the yellow volt sensitive relay, it stop rear screen heater operating when engine is not running & alternator is not charging. 

One relay should be brake fail light check on start up, not sure of wire colours as I am not near my wiring diagrams

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, western said:

One relay should be brake fail light check on start up, not sure of wire colours as I am not near my wiring diagrams

There is a brake / transmission oil temp, warning light test relay in the picture in This post, (it is the relay on the left)

Wire colours are:

30 black

85 black

86 red/white

87 slate/red

87a black

The relay wiring & operation are discussed in the following few posts.

@western I guess this is the relay you are referring to.

Edited by MR-HIPPO
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2019 at 11:08 AM, daveturnbull said:

Glow plug timer relay.

Thanks. Can anybody tell me what relay is required for the glow plug timer please. Technical details appreciated as I’m at a auto electrician rather than a Landy place...

Also, on the glow plug timer relay is a long thick brown cable. Does this go to the alternator or starter? Assume the thick yellow cable goes to the glow plugs?

Edited by roamingyak

43 minutes ago, western said:

Keep the yellow volt sensitive relay, it stop rear screen heater operating when engine is not running & alternator is not charging. 

Thanks. My rear window is filled in with a thick sheet of aluminium, and the loom not plugged in. So good to not have it if possible. Just leave the relay out?

Brake fail is perhaps Slate/Red? (Grey/Red)?

33 minutes ago, MR-HIPPO said:

There is a brake / transmission oil temp, warning light test relay in the picture in This post, (it is the relay on the left)

Wire colours are:

30 black

85 black

86 red/white

87 slate/red

87a black

The relay wiring & operation are discussed in the following few posts.

@western I guess this is the relay you are referring to.

Yes, that is it. Has the Slate/Red wires. Will leave a relay out of it and leave the wires blanked off if that’s a safe sensible option?

Not sure my dash light panel has a space for it either....

Edited by roamingyak

10 minutes ago, roamingyak said:

Yes, that is it. Has the Slate/Red wires. Will leave a relay out of it and leave the wires blanked off if that’s a safe sensible option?

Not sure my dash light panel has a space for it either....

Should be fine, it purely serves as a warning lamp test when you crank the engine.

May be a handy way to carry a spare / redundant relay though?

1 hour ago, roamingyak said:

Thanks. Can anybody tell me what relay is required for the glow plug timer please. Technical details appreciated as I’m at a auto electrician rather than a Landy place...

Also, on the glow plug timer relay is a long thick brown cable. Does this go to the alternator or starter? Assume the thick yellow cable goes to the glow plugs?

OK, after some "testing" this end.

1: Large Brown permanent live (not fused) to power the glow plugs.

2: large Yellow (should be yellow/black?) connects to glow plugs

3: White. fused live (should be live when ignition lights are on)

4: white/red  crank engine  circuit the thin wire is ignition switch side of the starter relay. (I assume this shuts the timer off if you crank the engine?)

5: Thin yellow/black from to the dash warning light. (earthing this illuminates the warning light)

Edited by MR-HIPPO
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MR-HIPPO said:

OK, after some "testing" this end.

1: Large Brown permanent live (not fused) to power the glow plugs.

2: large Yellow (should be yellow/black?) connects to glow plugs

3: White. fused live (should be live when ignition lights are on)

4: white/red  crank engine  circuit the thin wire is ignition switch side of the starter relay. (I assume this shuts the timer off if you crank the engine?)

5: Thin yellow/black from to the dash warning light. (earthing this illuminates the warning light)

Great!! Thanks heaps :)

But where is the large brown wire supposed to be connected to? Alternator, starter, battery etc please. It’s a long wire...

3 minutes ago, roamingyak said:

Great!! Thanks heaps :)

But where is the large brown wire supposed to be connected to? Alternator, starter, battery etc please. It’s a long wire...

Does it have a  ring connection on the other end?

If so I would assume that it connects to the main live terminal on the starter motor (effectively straight to battery)

There are a a few wires connected there on the vehicle that I have here.

• Thanks 1

Yes, large ring, but the cable is long enough to reach to the battery, would need to be cut and trimmed for starter. Auto electrician wants to connect it to alternator as we’ve already removed the starter twice and those 3 bolts really suck!! LOL 

Haynes diagram shows battery, so will do it there I think... thanks again...

Any help on the relay needed as questioned above would be appreciated, need to order two ASAP...

Thanks everybody, she started up today and nothing went bang, pop, fizz, whizz or kaboom!!!! 😀

Will take her for a spin tomorrow for more checks....

Id like to repeat what I had previously and have a secret kill switch that doesn’t let the engine start when it’s off. Any suggestions for the best wire to interrupt for this please? Previously it was the wire on top of the fuel injection pump stop solenoid, starter motor would turn over but not start etc

• Like 1

Engine side you are very restricted on a 200TDI.

Power to the fuel cut solenoid is the only electrical connection that is required to keep the engine running once it has started.

Toying with the idea of physically interrupting the fuel supply from the tank on mine.

EDIT: Ninjad by Western.

Edited by MR-HIPPO
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, lack of choice is sometimes a good thing 😀

What dash-lights should come on when you turn the ignition on, then the engine? Currently no lights come on, the bulbs are good and work when the auto electrician tests the circuit, but not when we do it in anger.... our morning puzzle to solve 😀

Just had a poke around with the 200TDI here.

The two large (10 pin) white plugs that connect to the back of the warning light panel both have one plain white wire.

These white wires should be live with the ignition on. 

The left plug has the white on pin 4  (this has an 8-2 split)

The right plug has the white on pin 8 (this plug has a 3-7 split)

If you look at the front of the plugs (the side that plugs into the warning light panel) the terminals are numbered (on the raised portion just below the wires)

Edited by MR-HIPPO

Thanks again, will try to sort out the dashlights tomorrow.

A. My only issue there so far is having a Brown/Yellow wire that is in the small alternator loom, plugs into the main loom, but then doesn't seem to connect through to the Brown/Yellow wire on the dash lights connector -  when the auto electrician tests each end they are not connected. Faulty wire/connection or does it pass through something that we don’t have a relay in etc etc? Any suggestions appreciated!

B.Also, not had the glow plug relay before. I’ve wired my amp and sub to only work when I switch the ignition on, to avoid accidental flattening of the battery etc. But by having the ignition turned on I’m not running the glow plugs or something daft like this?

C. Assume I should change my dash panel to a 200 TDS one as then I’ll have a glow plug light etc on it?

26C7ABE7-B983-487B-A21F-AA7348F61574.jpeg

0378D3D0-034C-4163-840D-5057BB3291BB.jpeg

Edited by roamingyak

The glowplug warning circuit uses the choke symbol light . Does it start ?  A check of the connections on the back of the ignition module would be my start point if you have no live at the instrument panel

cheers

Steve b