VDO sensors for 200TDI?

I’m rewiring with new looms my 200TDI 110 from 1991 with a 1994 new loom from Autosparks in South Africa.

Seems a good opportunity to change to VDO gauges for engine temperature and oil temperature. No problem getting the gauges here, for sensors the trustworthy auto electrical I’m at says there are generic sensors that we will have to adapt to fit.

Is there anything sensor wise for the VDO gauges that will fit the 200TDI exactly without having to modify? Or is it easy to do etc?

Great, thanks guys.

Can anybody tell me what thread the 200TDI has for the temperature gauge please? And any risk of it breaking off when taking it out? Replacing the thermostat last month the bolts were difficult and one broke off. Assume as it’s brass it should be ok.

For the engine oil temperature it just seems to be a semi hopeless clip on situation opposite the fuel injection pump?

image.jpg

Only just seen this, my apologies completely forgot to look at it. 

Water temp sender defender spec 200tdi is 5/8 unf

Oil temp is a button end connection the spade terminal slides on to.  LR part number is PRC4372.

mine is now a VDO sender for the oil temp gauge, bought from europa spares their part no is 323801009001 cost me £16.91 plus VAT/postage

thread is 1/8 - 27 NPT button connection same as LR sender.

They come out easy enough generally.  Just be careful your guys are actually good with electrical work if you're going to move away from standard stuff. In my long experience in dealing with cars and mechanics in SA,  vehicle electrics are not a national strong point to say the very least.. and don't go for generic african stuff bodged to fit - if you can't get the right senders, stick to standard.

Put a post up on SA4X4 facebook page, couple of guys on there should be able to point you towards a vdo stockist.