Lucas alternators - .TR or .C8 ?

I’m looking to put in a new 65 amp alternator with my new 1994 200TDI wiring loom, being retro fitted to a 1991 200TDI.

LRDirect list 2 Lucas models as STC234G.TR and STC234G.C8. Any idea what the difference is please?

https://www.lrdirect.com/STC234-Alternator-A127-65Amp-Lucas-No.-242/?keep_https=yes

Do they come with a pulley attached? Doesn’t look like it, if not what extra parts do I need to order please? Shipping to South Africans so keen to get it correct first time :)

In the past when I've replaced alternators they have not been supplied with the pulley. You have to take the pulley off the old one and swap it over. Can be fun getting the nut off sometimes!

I believe RTC5686 is the part number for the pulley but check the parts book to be sure.

28 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

In the past when I've replaced alternators they have not been supplied with the pulley. You have to take the pulley off the old one and swap it over. Can be fun getting the nut off sometimes!

I believe RTC5686 is the part number for the pulley but check the parts book to be sure.

Thanks, though at about 120 quid with South African tax it’s a bloody expensive piece of plastic!!! 

A quick look a their site, and I can see the suffix letters refer to the brand.

2 things stand out to me: STC234.C8 (note no G in the code) is a Britpart item. The 2 year warranty is also a Britpart thing. I would suggest the STC234G.C8 also comes from them.

The fact that they can often supply genuine LR packaged branded parts makes it hard to choose which of their parts you can trust. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

They're steel in construction. You'd likely be able to find a pulley locally. As long as it fits the shaft, takes the right size V-belt and is roughly the right diameter then it'll work.

New ones are made from plastic it seems... going to use the old one, cheap local one on the reconditioned old one if it turns up tomorrow looking ok...