Jump to content
Muttland

Ball Join extractor Tool for Land Rover Def & Disco

Recommended Posts

Hi to All:

 

I would like to know if it extractor in Amazon is suitable for the steering pointers of Land Rover Defender and Land Rover Discovery 1 and 2.

Its look very strong but I don't know if  it is too small or not

https://www.amazon.com/EWK-Splitter-Separator-Remover-Extractor/dp/B00H8KLGT4/ref=nav_ya_signin?keywords=ball+joint+extractor&qid=1560538421&s=gateway&sr=8-25&

extractor.jpg

 

 

 

Thank 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always just use a large hammer. Hit the side of the casting with the hole in it right and the ball joint pops out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use one like this......

20190615_060323.thumb.jpg.b4beddd2b114c8bbfee7d14b9f96ce18.jpg

Got mine off the bay of E and works as it should 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hammer didnt work last time I tried to do one without my tool. I was hitting it for ages, wouldnt budge. I have a similar one to mutley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, with nicely painted stuff, you hardly want to be hammering on it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The type shown is pretty much the same as the one  I use.

 

One hint - if the joint's taper doesn't seem to want to come apart don't just keep tightening and tightening until something breaks.

 

Tighten it up reasonably-tight, then go and have a coffee (or a beer). When you come back half an hour later chances are the taper will have 'popped' as intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tanuki said:

The type shown is pretty much the same as the one  I use.

 

One hint - if the joint's taper doesn't seem to want to come apart don't just keep tightening and tightening until something breaks.

 

Tighten it up reasonably-tight, then go and have a coffee (or a beer). When you come back half an hour later chances are the taper will have 'popped' as intended.

And if that does not work then you can also use hammer shock technique while under load from the spliter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where possible I use two hammers im;pacting on opposite sides, all you need is a slight deflection in the cone for it to come apart. I have never used that type of splitter I used to use the fork type you hit in between but these ruin the rubbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both the splitters pictured look up to the task. +1 on winding it up and going for a break or tapping the tool. I have some 4" diameter taper joints to split shortly... Even works on them! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a similar one which hasn’t failed me yet. Just had to tickle it with the grinder to get it over the slightly longer HD TREs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 2:28 AM, reb78 said:

Hammer didnt work last time I tried to do one without my tool. I was hitting it for ages, wouldnt budge. I have a similar one to mutley.

You are not doing it right....  Every ball joint taper ever comes off this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With pressed steel suspension/steering component, for example on a mcpherson strut, the hammer method will not always work, even if not rusted in.

If pressed steel, I find the damage you cause not to be worth it, and just pull the separator tool out every time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

With pressed steel suspension/steering component, for example on a mcpherson strut, the hammer method will not always work, even if not rusted in.

If pressed steel, I find the damage you cause not to be worth it, and just pull the separator tool out every time.

 

This thread is about Defenders and Discos.  Let's not get off topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Red90 said:

This thread is about Defenders and Discos.  Let's not get off topic.

 

16 hours ago, Red90 said:

You are not doing it right....  Every ball joint taper ever comes off this way.

With the best will in the world this is misleading then.....

Not trying to pick fault, but someone following the advice there could damage their vehicle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Red90 said:

You are not doing it right....  Every ball joint taper ever comes off this way.

One hammer, two hammers (one on each side, hit together or apart), as i was changning them i even tried the end of the ball joint. I gave up before I broke something. So each to their own, but if you are happy potentially damaging things thats fine. I wasn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s no excuse, unless you’re in the middle of nowhere, to use anything other than the proper tool.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 5:40 PM, ballcock said:

Where possible I use two hammers im;pacting on opposite sides, all you need is a slight deflection in the cone for it to come apart.

This ^^^ is close to what I was going to say.

Normally I hold a club hammer static against the arm to support it, and wallop the opposite side with my 2lb ball pein. Just hitting with a single hammer sends all the shock loading down the line, and just isn't as effective. Never failed to split one yet :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy