MOT EXEMPTION RULE QUERY

neilc

Morning , im really sorry if this has been covered in the past however I couldn't find an answer

my Land rover series 3 is  39 years old , I am aware of the 40 year historic tax rule and the DVLA state that tax is rolling from point of registration,

My 40th year commences  in AUGUST 2019 and then it should be tax free , however does it need to have a current mot when 40 years kicks in?

My situation is this , My MOT expires in June 2019 , the Landy is 40 in August , can I sorn it for 2 months and then claim historic tax or does it need to be MOTD when the 40 years kicks in?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Neil.

I'm doing something similar at the moment as my Q reg ex military lightweight was built in november 1973 I phoned  DVLA and got a really helpful guy  who told me I need a V10 form filled in for historic tax a current MOT, my proof of manufacture certificate and my V5 Might be easier than that for you as not having to prove age but you will require the V10 Hope this helps regards Stephen

with a Q reg you wont get MOT exemption because they class it as substantially modified, unless you can get it classed as historic for RFL, the other issue is although its 40 yrs old if the Q plate was issued in the last 30 years its unlikely it will be MOT exempt , as the date of registration will be the date the 'modification '

so cast from service and given a Q in 1996 will mean although you can prove manufacture date , if it retains its Q you need to wait til 2026.

To be honest I,m not bothered about MOT exempt as a yearly MOT stops you putting jobs off I'm more interested in getting it tax exempt the DVLA guy asked about age related plate but I told him it was'nt an issue Will keep you informed on progress as sending docs away this week DVLA recons about 4 weeks to process Regards Stephen

Anyone wanting to know about DVLAs attitude to Q plates should look at the thread on the military section dealing with historic tax and MOT (I can't remember the threads exact title).  On the last post I attached an extract from a letter sent to all car clubs that are part of the V765 scheme.
Peter

On 6/15/2019 at 10:04 AM, neilc said:

Morning , im really sorry if this has been covered in the past however I couldn't find an answer

my Land rover series 3 is  39 years old , I am aware of the 40 year historic tax rule and the DVLA state that tax is rolling from point of registration,

My 40th year commences  in AUGUST 2019 and then it should be tax free , however does it need to have a current mot when 40 years kicks in?

My situation is this , My MOT expires in June 2019 , the Landy is 40 in August , can I sorn it for 2 months and then claim historic tax or does it need to be MOTD when the 40 years kicks in?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Neil.

Yes to your question. No MOT no tax unless MOT exempt.

You can apply to stop paying for vehicle tax if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1979. You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay, Its automatic.

With the MOT exemption the vehicle has to be classified as Historic for that you have to apply to the DVLA, and certify the vehicle doesn’t meet the “modified” criteria and of course the vehicle was first registered 40+ years ago.

Simples, I did both last year at the same time at my local Post Office for my classic car that was on a Sorn at the time so with out an MOTcert.

Edited by teabag

9 hours ago, Romahomepete said:

When getting information from DVLA in a phone call always ask for written confirmation. The phone operators have been known to get it wrong.

^ This. If you find yourself talking to the plod / VOSA about it saying "Well the chap on the phone said it was probably OK" isn't going to cut it.