p38 torque convertor

Simon_CSK

In another thread I was having problems reinstalling my V8 and have now solved all the problems with that.

I know the gearbox id and have found that the distance back from the face of the bellhousing needs to be 27mm however I have only got 13mm so I would assume that the convertor has moved forward duing the project.

I know it is easier to reinstall the convertor from a vertical position hover I need to strip the box out to do that. Can it be done horizontally and if so what is the process? 

Yes, done it horizontally, just need to be patient, rotate and push gently until you get three 'steps' until home.

Then re-measure depth and see what you get....

If you remove entirely, watch for the pool of blood, and it will be *heavy*.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Yes, done it horizontally, just need to be patient, rotate and push gently until you get three 'steps' until home.

Then re-measure depth and see what you get....

If you remove entirely, watch for the pool of blood, and it will be *heavy*.

Bowie

Thanks again. Hopefully this will be the last obstacle and I can refit the engine.

Yes it is heavy and I have had lots of patience so far as I haven't come close to the matches yet lol.

I'm not sure why ashcroft say about fitting it with the box vertical, either Dave or Ian came on here once to say the same, but I've never had a problem.

If you watch any of the yank youtubers/car build off type shows they often show fitting the converter and the box is always on a bench or the floor, perfectly horizontal.

One of those ponderings :)

I have done it vertically in the past and it definately was simple.

I noticed when I took the convertor off that the second set of teeth had a little burr on each of them where I have tried to force the it on. Have bought some needle files so will dress the teeth gently before I try again. I am thinking that the burr is somehow not helping.

At least I feel I am in a better position and know why it isn't going back together properly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Took the box out and it wouldn't go in vertically, got so far and seemed to stick so bought a second hand gearbox from Ebay with the same code. Lifed that into the vertical position and it slipped in easily. 

When refitting the box the wires I had holding it broke and the torque convertor slipped off, my worst nightmare or so I thought. Sat in the engine bay and a few twists and wiggles and it went back on. That was where I left it yesterday evening. Just went out this evening and the block went in a dream.

Tomorrows job is to connect everything back up.

Will be well pleased if I can get it running so fingers crossed.

Thanks all for your assistance.