Caveat Emptor... OT but I thought people should see this...

ThreeSheds

A friend has just bought a single seat hill-climb car and (luckily) decided to strip it before driving it... 

There are multiple bodges (asymmetric rear suspension due to putting the tie rods on different sides of the upright for example) but this one I just had to photograph... it's the clutch cable:

20190616_120349.thumb.jpg.1d47c6e528c1e630d7f7d0514bf0a104.jpg

• Confused 1

This is why I find it hard to contemplate buying any "kit" or "rebuild" partly or fully "finished", because people are animals and I'd have to strip it back to almost bare & check everything was pukka just for peace of mind.

• Like 2

I used to make quite a bit of beer money finishing off other people's kit cars. Very few were fault free first time, that's why Caterham and Westfield have post build checks as part of their build process.

The clutch cable bodge is a classic example of "There's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix!"

On 6/16/2019 at 1:21 PM, ThreeSheds said:

A friend has just bought a single seat hill-climb car and (luckily) decided to strip it before driving it... 

There are multiple bodges (asymmetric rear suspension due to putting the tie rods on different sides of the upright for example) but this one I just had to photograph... it's the clutch cable:

20190616_120349.thumb.jpg.1d47c6e528c1e630d7f7d0514bf0a104.jpg

I have just done something very similar to fix a very expensive cable on the mower!

When my throttle cable snapped I stripped a bit of electrical cable out of someone's elses wiring loom and threaded it through the existing throttle cable sheath. Worked a treat :D

I drove my offroader for months without brakes so a bodge is a step up on my usual level of effort :D

Mate of mine arrived at work with another mate laying in the engine bay of his golf operating the throttle, he was driving with his head out the window to see round the bonnet and shout instructions...

No, he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box.

• Haha 2

Reminds me of a video short I saw years ago of a bus in India I think, a stone had holed the rad, so a small boy was being held out front catching the water, and passing the jugs/pans to his Dad to empty back in the open rad cap!.... needs must I suppose

I had to do something similar with a snapped throttle cable on a 12J while abroad, using a terminal block and some green coated garden wire.  It was only temporary, but had to last a couple of months until I got back to the UK.  It turned out to be so sound that it was a pig to remove!

Loving all these bodgetastic tales... So glad I posted this now!  Hear are some of mine and one of my dad's (but I'm afraid that they are not on the same level as some of those above):

• Brake bodge #1 (on the road to India in a Series II): Made a new union in a fractured brake pipe by flaring it with a centre punch. The previous 'fixer' had obviously had problems with vibration and had made a helical loop to allow for movement... This left enough spare for me to remake the joint. Interesting perhaps that it then lasted years so perhaps I had changed the resonat frequency by shortening it...
  • Brake bodge #2 (on the road to India in a Series II): Sealed a fractured brake pipe (another one) by squashing the end and rolling it up a few turns...
  • Tow started a S1 80" fitted with a SII diesel after the electrics caught fire, and drove it home (about thirty miles) with no lights...
  • My dad once carried on after total lights failure on an overnight journey from Nottingham to Cornwall on a Square Four combo, with my mum on the back holding a torch over his shoulder. Luckily it was June, so was a short night!